Aspirin?

Goschi

I take some aspirin...but having said that I have severe unbearable migraines and have to take things that my body does not like. IV meds at the hospital make me feel like I am harming myself more. These medications are a big problem for me but....the type of head pain I have is so profound it is unbearable. I do tolerate tylenol pretty well. Aspirin does not make me feel very different.

One of my docs had me try taking an aspirin a day because there is a famous mast cell doc who has her mcas patients with a lot of cognitive issues take it. It is a COX1 AND COX2 inhibitor. It did help but I don't want to live on it as it is a blood thinner and I have other issues (besides POTS) that make that not a great idea. Also, some people do have allergies to aspirin. However, from a POTS perspective, I don't believe I would have been told to take it if it was a POTS problem. I would definitely check with a doc or pharmacist before taking it just because of the potential interaction with other drugs.

Some docs recommend it because of our circulation issues, and some do not.

I was taking it, until I reacted horribly to it. BUT . . . I suspect a mast cell issue is/was the root of it. Don't take my experience in consideration. If you did, you would never take anything because it has been like that for me lately.

Aspirin doesn't seem to be contraindicated for one with PoTS as I have PoTS and was prescribed Aspirin 325mg bid as a MCAD therapy which I have as well. For those with a mast cell disorder Aspirin can be very helpful or very harmful as some have a degranulation reaction to it. Do check with your pharmacist though and make sure it is compatible with your other medications.

Janet

My experience with anything BUT Tylenol including NSAIDS and aspirin is terrible. With Aspirin, my BP goes too low because of its blood thinning ability, and with NSAIDS I swell. I can get away with an NSAID for one or 2 doses but not 3 and can only do it every once in a while. If Im already swollen, it does not fly at all. I don't know the cause of the NSAID swelling per se.

I am careful to read every ingredient in an OTC medication.

Hello Goshi,

Actually Aspirin does not cause mast cell degranulation in everyone that has a mast cell disorder. If a doctor believes a patient will benefit from taking it then it is started in a very very small amount and the dosage is very gradually worked upward. I was started on 1/4 of a baby aspirin. It is noted in Dr. Afrins MCAD papers as a treatment option for some. It must be approached very carefully though as like with Beta Blockers and the potential mast cell degranulation that may result from taking that type of medication. If you had a bad reaction to aspirin then maybe you are one of many that do have a mast cell degranulation reaction to it. Another type of flu/cold medication may be a better choice for you.

Janet

username,

Sweats/diaphoresis ( not always nocturnal ) does show up on Dr. Afrin's long list of possible mast cell activation symptoms so your night sweats could be mast cell related.

I took 1/2 Aspirin yesterday and today, simply in order to try out - fortunately, I didn´t experience any bad things around my POTS - in fact just the contrary, I have the feeling that most of my dysautonomia symptoms got significantly BETTER! (every time about 30-45 minutes after I took the Aspirin). - Whatever this might mean now...?

Anyway, I consider to take 1/2 Aspirin daily for the next days and see what happens. Maybe I am the only person in the world for whom simple Aspirin might be the wonder cure! ;-)