How Many Have Been Able To Get Long Term Disability?

Another thread brought this lack of support to my attention. I got it for my son but it was not easy. Please mention the state you are in and if you were successful and how? Each state is different...so this is important. You can get it regardless of your age or financial status. If you were turned down, what was the reason? What state department agency did you use in your state?

I live in Tennessee and was just approved for social security disability. It was definitely a process though. I had a lawyer from the beginning and was told TN has a high denial rate, somewhere around 70%. He helped me fill out the application online and I had copies of all of my medical records to forward on to SS. They contract with the dept. of human services here. They were the ones who denied me at first, saying that I could still stand and walk! The appeal went to the federal level, but I'm not sure where. They approved me but I don't know why or what changed. I do have another autoimmune disease in addition to Pots, so I guess they look at everything. Also, my lawyer had my doctors fill out a functional capacity form detailing my limits and difficulties with day to day tasks so I think that helped too.

Im referring to an aspect of Medicaid that is called long term disability that differs from state to state. It covers children fully but adults can get dual coverage as your link describes.

So. heres the deal. They are required to deny you at least 2x unless you are a quadriplegic. You have a better chance of getting on the 2nd try with an attorney but even if you don't get an attorney, you will likely get it on the 3rd try...but that's 6 or more months of waiting..who has time for that! The reason for this is...if you really need it, you will fight for it hard or be very persistent.

This is not the case with children under 18. They are usually approved within weeks but if you are middle class, good luck getting info on how to fill out the paperwork. Under the topic Ivig, I described how to beat the system at least in VA. We are a commonwealth and joke that it is a dictatorship. We have so many elected officials on every level but we have no idea what they do.

So, If you are an adult and you don't work due to disability there are ways around things. One thing you have to do 1 yr in advance is to put all of your assets in the name of a "family trust". You can be an executor of that trust but now the trust "owns" everything and all you have is the fuzz in your pocket. You cannot own more than 2,000 in your name of anything. (and don't wear your family heirlooms to meet with the SSDI people!) This is also a very wise idea should you accumulate huge bills that you cannot pay for. You cannot loose your house or cars or other assets that are in the name of the trust. I even put my life insurance policy in the trust. They cannot do anything but garnish the wages that you DONT make... If you really, really need the help in the way of coverage, you can do some more moving around that is totally legal to put you in the brackets that government sets out for you but this goes into a ton of detail and is very situation dependent and not always feasible.

Another new thing now that its tax season is that if you must file jointly, and you have big bills you can file as an "injured spouse"...injured financially that is. That way one spouses bills don't damage the others credit score and such. This is a rather new thing since the latest big, long recession or mini depression.

If you are filling this out for a child, they now look at college savings in the childs name. So if you have a 529 plan, you have to shift it to a similar fund not in that childs name. That prevents you from a lock in rate for a state college...but your medical bills would likely exceed any cost of college anyway.

Im not a tax advisor, a lawyer or anything of the sort...just learned a bit