Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nymph

Is Low Oxygen Reading Common In Pots?

Hi!

The last few times I've been to the doctor (August, September, and now) My oxygen has read 89-90% on the oximeter. My nurse mentioned it, but I don't think she said anything to the Dr and I forgot to ask. I am now a bit worried that I may have a lung problem.

I called my sister who's an NP and she had me do a capillary refill test on my fingernail. Apparently my circulation is pretty sluggish and that is why my O2 reads low, she thinks.

Does anyone have low O2 readings and, if so, do you have an explanation for them? I'm going to call my Dr today.

Thanks,

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

My circulation has been proven to be insufficient through doppler studies but my oxygen saturation has never been low. I would definitely check this out with the docs.

I have hypovolemia and many breathing problems but my oxygen saturation is fine when I have checked it. I do remember reading somewhere that it does not mean everything is fine. There is some sort of test where that would take blood straight from an artery...which I hear is painful. In any case I would ask my doctor to be clear about whether or not it needs to be investigated. I know...always another thing to check up on.

I don´t know if low blood oxygen is really common in POTS. I didn´t read much about it, seems to be a neglected issue yet...

However, what I could observe personally, since I do have a pulse- and oxymeter for my fingertip (since 1 year) are relatively large fluctuations in my blood oxygen, which are somehow "irrational".

Sometimes, I may go as low as 90 when I am simply lying in bed. (not sleeping, just being awake und supine). Sometimes the oxygen would go up to 98/99 immediately, as soon as I stand up and walk around and it stays at these normal values as long as I am upright.

On some other occasions, it´s just the other way round - when I was walking for 20-25 minutes and I checked my figures, I was sometimes (definitely not always!) as low as 91/92. Sitting down or lying down would make it go up immediately to 97/98.

I have not the least idea what this different phenomena could mean - my docs never paid any attention, or I should rather say the honest ones among them openly admitted that they find my readings extremely strange, but admitted that they had no idea at all, what it could mean...

That's very interesting. I wonder what it means, too. I am hoping that it is part of POTS. I am really hoping that it is NOT autoimmune lung issues in my case. If anyone has seen literature about O2 levels in POTS, I would really love it if you passed it along!

My son (16) was just diagnosed with exercise induced "asthma" and prescribed ProAir inhaler (non-steroidal) to see if this would help improve his POTS symptoms while exercising. By exercising, we mean 5 minutes on a bike at slow pace without triggering symptoms. Hopefully we can get this up to 20 minutes. If not, we will try the steroidal version.

Any input on experience with this approach or if it sounds reasonable would be welcome.