Antidepressant for headache/migraine

I have been getting 15 headaches/migraines a month for the last two months. I never had them before now they are chronic. My neurologist wanted me to start an antidepressant as a prevention med. Has that worked for anyone? I am terrified of antidepressants so I don't know if I want to start it. Also if my headaches came on so quick, what if they pass in a few months and I'm stuck on some med for no reason. What are your experiences? Did anyone have headaches for a few months out of nowhere that ended up dissappearing? ANy infor is great because I am miserable. They make me extremely irritable and I can't be that way with young kids. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Dayna

Hi Dayna

Sorry to hear that you have these terrible headaches. Yes, my daughter had to be on medication daily to avoid her hemiplegic migraines that were constantly interupting her life. She at the time was put on by her neuro a betablocker (propranolol) and elavil. It helped her quite a bit although took a few months to finally really make a difference. It first lessened the severity and then slowed the headaches to a lesser amount within a month. She was before treatment getting these average about twice a week when younger.

The only thing she remembers as a side effect was a little sedation effect if taken too late in the evening and vivid dreaming from the elavil. I didn't really like her taking the anti-depressant either but it worked wonders and the doc said it is common to use these as they help migraine sufferers.

good luck

Steph - I think that's the prescritpion my neuro gave me nortriptyline. I have to pick it up at the pharmacy to be sure. I had horrible nausea and suicidal thoughts when I was on Lexapro 5mg for 4 days and also couldn't tolerate effexor 75. Maybe it's just the SSRI's.

I'm happy you don't have any side effects, that's great. Good Luck

Dayna