Does Anyone Have Experience With Sjogren's?

Claired

Someone told me once, after I complained about having burning, watering eyes and trouble reading that I should be tested for Sjogren's? But when people also have Sjogren's don't their eyes dry up instead? mine have been bothering me for a few months now so I don't think it 's an infection. I've never had allergies before (and it's snowing where I live). Looking at a list of possible symptoms I also have dysautonomia, nose bleeds, digestive issues, headaches often in my teeth, fatigue. Is it worth doing?

Hi Claired,

It is possible to have dry eyes with reactive watering. From what I understand, it can mean that your tear quality is reduced and they evaporate more quickly. There are several tests an opthalmologist can do to see what's going on with your eyes. Some of them will do the newer blood tests for Sjs, too. Nosebleeds probably mean a dry nose unless you've always been prone to them. My nose/sinuses are my dryest part. Headaches in your teeth can come from your sinuses or a lot of other things, such as swollen salivary glands. It's always hard to tell with head pain because it can come from a different part of the head. Any of the other issues could be from Sjs or from dysautonomia. My advice would be to get your eyes checked for what is causing the burning and watering and go from there. If you ever get joint pain, dry mouth, or swollen salivary glands, then you should go to a rheumatologist familiar with Sjs to be checked out.

Take care!

I have been seeing a new Neurologist, who believes there is an underlying cause of my Dysautonomia. She has referred me to a Rheumatologist for a lip biopsy for Sjogren's. I had a blood test for it a couple of years ago, but it came back negative. The Neurologist prefers the lip biopsy, so we will see what happens. My Opthamologist said that I have extremely dry eyes, but I still have fluid in them. I can drink three liters of water and still have dry lips, and mouth. My joint pain has been increasing, so there seems to be something going on. An Opthamologist is a good place to start to determine if you have dry eyes, or some other issue.