Adopting A Dog - How Much Work Is It?

I am seriously considering adopting a dog for our family. My husband and I grew up with dogs and we know one is in our future, but the question is when. One factor delaying us getting a dog is me having POTS. My husband's concerns are keeping the house clean and running to the vet (and bills). And being awaken at odd hours (quality sleep is a challenge for me). I wanted to ask how much work is it for you dog owners? I've seen a lot of positive comments in the forum on the companionship and joy pets bring which is so inspiring. It's been many years since I've owned my own dog and cared for one.

I would not get a puppy per se...if you can find a "teenage" dog that is not a messy breed. A mix of poodle does not really shed and they tend to be small enough to be comforting lap dogs. Some people want "pure bred" but they usually have more health problems due to inbreeding than a one generation "mutt". Mutts I have had almost never go to the vet except for regular check ups and shots.

If your looking for a therapy kind of dog, the Lab is the best. They are easy to train as pups and very teachable. You could easily work with one and get it certified as a therapy dog who could go places with you and support your weight if you become dizzy or sick in public. People are not afraid of them. German Shepards are better at this but they are large and make more mess and people are afraid of them. Labs shed 2X per year but every German Shepard I met sheds on me constantly and they smell just a bit more.

I have a super aversion to smells so this is why I pick a poodle mutt over a pure breed. A labradoodle might be a perfect match.Good health, smart, not stinky or droooly, small enough to get out a dog door to take care of business, trainable. The other thing to think about is picking a sex. The females tend to be more calm and you would want to get her fixed right away so there are no adverse behaviors.

I suggest calling a therapy dog place and asking some key questions. they will charge you thousands for one of their dogs but you don't have to get one from them. A dog has to pass a 12 point behavior test to become a certified therapy dog. A vet can give the dog the test. You just have to be committed to the process for a good 6 months after puppyhood if you picked a smart one. ...if that is what you are looking for.

I have a cat that acts like a dog for now because my son is allergic to dogs. He plays fetch and everything!

I'll just chime in to agree that puppies are a lot of work. A lot of fun, but will disrupt your sleep and are demanding of time. We recently took care of a friend's puppy for a weekend--it was like having a toddler in the house! I forgot how much work they are! He had to go out every couple of hours during the day, at least, he wanted to chew on and get into everything, needed lots of attention (slept of course too, but for perhaps an hour at a time during the day). That stage is only several months long, but I think could be difficult if the primary caregiver of the puppy is not well. Training can take time and energy too of course.

i inherited a 6 year old dog..i am not a dog person per say..but i have to say it has been the best thing for me being cooped up in the house..he is not a barker unless someone is at the door then he thinks he is protecting me...he is very smart and can learn a new trick in seconds..he loves to ride in the car which has helped me get out of the house a little more instead of being a hermit..i do not suggest a puppy to much work..i would find a older dog possibly trained or at least one that minds that you can work with..mine is a lap size dog about 25 lbs.. i do not prefer big dogs afraid they will knock me down due to balance problems..he loves to snuggle and knows when i am having a bad day will lay next to me all day for support..he also is able to go all night with out making a bathroom trip (unless he eats something he isnt suppose to then we might have a emergency night trip)..i also have cats which i am a cat person but they have a mind of their own and only want to snuggle when they want to..mine is a mix breed ..he is great and i am glad my sister-n-law left him with us when she moved he is my buddy :)

my mother-n-law lives with us and is on hospice and he will very gently crawl in bed with her and lay by her and check on her.. cutest thing ever..and makes her day

I got a seven month old dog this summer. She was a nightmare. Shepard/hound mix, not what I was looking for. She wasn't house trained. She chewed up everything, pulled the curtains down and chewed up the curtain rods, chewed up he pillows on the couch, shoes etc. When I got her I was going to the Humane Society to get a dog at least 2 years old, preferably a Golden Retriever mix. Sometimes the dog you fall in love with isn't the dog you thought you wanted.

She is now house trained. I puppy proofed a room and keep her in there when I am gone. She is much better behaved but does require a lot of attention. I have a fenced in yard which is necessary for me since I can have bad days.

On the plus side, I love her. We go for a walk every day, even when it was wind chills of 20 below. I live alone so I am now never alone. She can go 14 hours without having to go out to the bathroom. We go to a nearby dog park and I get to socialize with other people. She makes me get up to let her out and in when I would prefer to just sit.

I had two older dogs who both died last winter and they were slow and calm. But once they died, I never went for a walk.

I would recommend a dog at least 2 that is house broken. Advice I didn't follow myself. As for breed, go for the one you think is the cutest.

Thank you for all of your responses! Sunshinegirl - I have met a few poodle mixes and am impressed. The therapy angle is an interesting one - I will consider that. MomtoGiuliana - my husband says that I should be prepared for having "half a kid"! Sounds much like your puppy watching experience! Pooter18 - that is so sweet that your dog snuggles with your mother-in-law. Jan - that's good advice on passing the puppy stage and going for a mature dog. I had a Golden Retriever mix in the past and she was the sweetest pal.

I agree that a puppy is a lot of work with a lot of sleep interuptions. Keep in mind, dogs age too. My lab is now 11 years old. She is in good health except for a controlled low thyroid, but, just like humans, their bodies age. She now has to tinkle once and sometimes twice in the night. She basically has to tinkle every 3-4 hours. She comes and wakes me to let her out but it does wake me up. Selecting a breed that is appropriate for your activity level is important for you and for the health of the dog. Any dogs that are working breeds need 2-3 hours of exercise to be really well behaved pets without any neurotic behavior. I was lucky that when I got to the point that I couldn't exercise my lab like we used to, she was becoming an older dog and slowing down. But there are still days when my limitations are clearly taking a mental toll on her. I'm lucky that she has never taken out her boredom in a destructive way but it happens with dogs all the time. I also will say that when the time comes and I might have room in my life for another dog, it is going to have to be a smaller one. I like big breeds, but it was scary earlier this winter when my girl hurt herself on the ice and I was no longer strong enough to pick her up and put her in my truck. I had to get help from a neighbor.

The flip side is I absolutely believe I would have given up on life during this illness if I hadn't had my dog and kitties. They've kept me going, getting out of bed and having a purpose on days that I could have easily just rolled over and pretended the world didn't exist.

I've had a dog for 5 years, pots for 2 years. He's been a great joy and comfort and pushes me to move as I don't want to clean up an accident later. I do have support from family. I was his primary caretaker til I became ill. He is ill now and that is rough emotionally. The decision is yours. Thanks for asking us for input. I look to dinet family for been there done that expertise. Keep us posted.

I currently have 2 dogs and I love them. However they are quite a bit of trouble. I have a miniature poodle and a poodle mix at the moment. They actually are next to me as I type this.

I have children and we got our poodle when our kids were young she is now 13 and I highly recommend the breed. I don't regret owing dogs for my children, however If I'm being perfectly honest, being dog-less would be better for me.

My husband and I have actually discussed a future without dogs. I will love and care for the ones I have until they die, and I will miss them when they are gone (assuming I outlive them- Lord willing).

Life would without them would be easier for sure. We had a rottie and I adored her. A year after her death I would still occasionally find fur when I was cleaning. My dogs don't shed but they certainly track in dirt. If you aren't cleaning up pet hair you have to take them to the groomer. We sometimes clip them ourselves but the hair in the ears is hard to deal with and I'm not keen on clipping nails- especially with black nails it's hard to know where to clip. I hurt my dog once by cutting a nail too short. She got over it but I havent. ?

I'm allergic to cats but always had pets as a child. It seemed to me that a house without a dog isn't really a home. I've changed my mind. They always need something, a bath, a walk, food, water, wormer. They also bark sometimes and that's frustrating if I'm resting or have a headache.

So my advice, if you aren't 100% sure consider waiting. My dogs are cute, fun, cuddly, and a lot of work. If I was lonely I'd feel differently, but this morning I was up at 5:30 to let them out. Yesterday one of my dogs vomited on the sofa. We don't have any housebreaking issues but if I leave the house or want to go anywhere the dogs are a consideration. For years I didn't leave my house that much. Now when I leave its a hassle to consider the dogs' needs. They can't be a little neglected for the day like an independent cat.

So as horrible as it sounds- most of the time I regret having dogs. I've owned 4 different dogs (never more than 2 at a time) over the course of my illness and more than 10-15 dogs over my lifetime. Predicting personality is almost impossible. One of the worst dogs I've ever known is a Labradodle. She is a hyper nightmare. Our Rottie was lovely. Our poodle mix is a timid chicken and behaves more like a cat. Our poodle is super smart and basically the perfect dog. We had a Doberman that was neurotic. All dogs with the same owner in the same environment yet very different levels of "work" in terms of training and ownership.

Another poster mentioned the care of an older dog. My poodle has lost most of her hearing an this point and has become more of a barker. Again now that I have my dogs I wouldn't trade them for anything, but my life would be easier without them.

We are currently dog sitting a Bouviers de Flanders. He is a delightful clown of a dog- but completely disgusting. He will eat anything- and I mean ANYTHING. I will be happy when he goes home.

Sorry for my long rant- if you do purchase a dog I'd also recommend a female. I've found the house breaking to be easier. Also as a general rule small dogs live longer. We don't own a large dog now because I get very attached and couldn't take the pain of losing another "friend". Our Doberman and Rottie both died young.

• 2 weeks later...

Oooohhh, I have to chime in here.

I have 4 cats and a dog, and have been a vet for 15 years. I will admit a cringed with the suggestion of a lab or labradoodles. Most labra/goldendoodles I have met are CA-RAZY. Not all of them mind you, but most of them. And while you can get an excellent lab, many, many of them are very high energy as well. The back yard breeder varieties can have a lot of issues.

I agree a GREAT idea would be to contact a therapy dog group. We worked with Canine Companions for Independence. If they had a pup, trained til 1 by volunteers, but it didn't pass for one reason or another (including conformation), they would find it a home without further training. I had recently seen...it was a weird combination...maybe it was a standard schnauzer-poodle? Anyway, FANTASTIC dog, worst mouth conformation I had seen in a long time. I can't fathom it will pass testing, because it won't have the mouth "dexterity" to pick up fine objects like dollar bills. I would've adopted that dog in a heartbeat if it didn't mean me getting divorced ;).

I lost my border collie mix (very high energy, very sweet and obedient, very neurotic!) at the age of 3 to cancer. It's almost odd how it worked out...she would've been devastated by my condition, since I can barely walk 1/2 mile now, and I used to take her on 6-8 mile runs in the mountains. Anyway, we got Emma Jean - some crazy looking lab/pit/terrier mix with wire hair coat, a couple of years ago. She is FANTASTIC. Lazy, cutest thing ever, listens...most of the time. She and my young cat play chase a lot (hysterical). It took me a while to find her, because I knew what I wanted. I got her around 8 months old - because you can mostly tell their personality by then, AND (added bonus!) most are potty trained at that age too. There's a lot of great rescues that have their pets in homes, so they can describe their personalities, etc. That would be a good choice too.

I'd try to find someone with experience in dogs (but not so passionate they'll talk you into something you shouldn't have) to help you out. Maybe a local vet that your neighbor has used a lot. I'd be more than happy to help you too, if you have questions on breeds, etc. Dogs are a big commitment, but can be so-very-rewarding!!

I would not encourage or discourage the idea. They are work, but they are also a pleasure. I also do not know your situation, or how you are doing. Who the primary care giver is etc.

We have a couple dogs, and we all enjoy them as a family. Not to long ago, I conceded and allowed my son to bring home an abandoned kitten (sucker). I tell you, I have especially enjoyed this cat. It has become my cat. She does not leave my side. Very low maintenance etc. I had no idea, how much I would enjoy her.

It may be that a puppy will be a nice "pick me up" for you.

I have a few fenced acres that makes it easier for me, and family to help.

I used to be "anti" small dog, but more and more, I see their value.

If you decide for one, good luck.

I agree with TwynnB. Therapy dogs would be a great option! They should be trained by the time you get them. I don't know much about therapy dogs but i love them! I went to a boarding school for kids with learning disabilities because I have high functioning autism and they had a therapy dog club where they brought a bunch to the gym and it was so fun! Therapy dogs can be trained to do all sorts of things! They have some trained to detect migraines, low blood sugar, and they train dogs to help pick stuff up for you. I am also in an adult group for autistic adults since i am out of school i am now 23 and we get togther once a month to discuss what activities to do like dinner or bowling and we had a person from place where they train therapy dogs and it was really cool. They brought the dog and showed us different stuff it could do like turn on a light switch. They even had an easy button that the dog pushes to let her know it wants a treat lol.

I have two little dogs. They aren't therapy dogs but they are so sweet! I have a Bichon who is now 14 and a Maltese who is maybe around 7. We do not know her exact age because she is a rescue. I live at home so my parents take care of them as well. My job is to feed them and take them outside to go potty which is a couple times a day. I tried helping out my parents once by bathing them and I do not want to do that again it was hard work.. I love having them here. When i stay with my grandma once a month i talk to them on the phone and my bichon talks back lol. she barks into the phone.

We have three dogs. A German shepherd/Doberman mix, a rat terrior and a jack Russell. The german shepherd/Doberman mix will not leave my son's side when he is feeling his worst. He keeps my son company. He prefers the indoors, but does enjoy running the backyard from time to time. It is cute to see him laying next to my son taking naps. The rat terrior is a lap dog and also a calm inside dog. The Jack Russell however requires a lot of exercise. Every lab I have come across has been very high energy. My daughter works at a kennel and the labs drive her crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

You've gotten some great advice here from more recent dog owners than I am. I would add in these two tips. I have a good friend with fatigue and pain causing chronic health issues, and she has two labs. They are a lot of work, gotten as pups and there was a lot of training and walking, and well, everything everyone has said. One thing that has worked for her, on her down days, is using doggy day care and having help from a good dog sitter/walker. It's extra money, so look into costs in your area and factor that into total dog ownership cost. She does doggy daycare about two times a week. I think for those of us with variable chronic health problems, doggy day care and walkers are a necessity.

The other tip is pet insurance. You had mentioned vet bills as a worry. Yes, it's an issue. We got a new cat last year and the first year of vet bills were insane...he was a kitten (rescue), which means more routine vet visits, but he also came with pulmonary and intestinal parasites that racked up some pricey vet bills over the first 7 months we had him. We eventually broke down and bought pet insurance (Embrace), with a "wellness" rider that pays for their annual "well kitty" check ups and shots. On a health young animal, the premium shouldn't cost too much per month, depending on the kind of coverage you get, and if you get the insurance right away before the dog has any history of health problems, there won't be exclusions for "pre-existing" conditions - so anything acute that comes up after a waiting period (I think ours was a month) will be reimbursed to some degree, which can be a real help if you're living on a budget and can't afford a huge hit for a pet health crisis. Again, it's a cost to look into and factor in before getting the pet, but it can help make unexpected vet bills a lot more easy on your wallet.