Standing In Swimming Pool Normal Heart Rate

alicios

Hi guys

I have an 'alpha meo' heart rate monitor(strapless) that I can wear when I'm in the pool. Today when I first got in the pool I noticed that even standing with my chest above water, feet touching the bottom, my heart rate was normmal (75 bpm). Before getting in and after getting out it was 120-130bpm. Anyone else experience anything like this? Or maybe you have a theory about this you would like to share with me:-)

- Alice

I once read a paper by a doctor about the compression qualities of water and the benefis of swimming. The paper may have even been on this site, but it was years ago now and I wasnt able to find it here last time I looked. Anyway, my take (i have a hard time reading/understanding even remotely scientific papers) from it was that that the compression qualities of water help our muscles pump the blood around our bodies. Personally, I was doing so much better when I was swimmimg regularly. I never felt my often rapid heartrate to be rapid while swimming. Migraines would often clear up during a swim. I felt 'normal' while in the water. The only warning about swimmimg that I remember reading in that paper (there may have be other warnings but I cant remember) is that people who are prone to fainting should never swim unsupervised (I dont faint, knock on wood).

We moved away from the beaches about 5 years ago now and I have seen an increase in severity of many of my dysautonomia symptoms. I dont have a car and have no way of getting to the beach. I do think that some of my decline healthwise has been to do with not being able to swim. I have done other forms of exercise in the past 5 years (although virtuallynone in the past year as my erythromelalgia problem has escalated) but they were not as successful as swimming in regards to helping me feel better.

blue

Ps. We holidayed by the sea last winter and I was able to stand thigh deep in very cold water and help my little grandson learn to boogy board. I was able to do this because the compression qualities of the water were keeping me on my feet and helped me expend quite a bit of energy. it was a wonderful half hour spent with my grandson. My adult kids just looked on wondering how I could stand the cold. But the cold was nothing compared to being able, for a little while, to have fun and also help my grandson do something he really wanted to learn to do. When he got dumped I (a small wave for me, a big one for him) I was able to reach down and lift him out although not without effort. There is no way I could lift my strong 6 year old grandson while on dry land.

blue