Salt Intake Causing High Blood Pressure

Ckitz

When I was diagnoised, I was told to increase salt intake. I was actually glad to be adding salt to my diet, since I had restricted it prior. Now my blood pressure is up to 150/ 94. Don't think these numbers are good. I am concerned that that salt is bad for me. I am on metoprolol succ ER 50 mg, which I'm pretty sure is a blood pressure med. I am confused...

I'm on Metoprolol also and my BP is usually around 130/95 when on the high side but it fluctuates so much. My PCP isn't extremely worried but we keep an eye on it. I was told to increase my salt up to 5-7 grams a day, I have been meaning to ask a doctor that is knowable about NCS or Dysautonomia if the benefit or all that salt is worth the health risk, or if there really is a health risk in the long run consuming that much salt. But like corina said, check with your doctor.

Thankyou for responding. My intent wasn't to get professional advice...I just want to see if someone else has dealt with this issue of having high blood pressure and taking salt. I have an appointment with my doctor...but she doesn't know anything about dysautonomia.

Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue....

If you are hyper pots then your blood pressure may not drop and you may not need to increase salt intake. I think increasing salt intake is mostly for people whose blood pressure drops. I could be wrong. My diastolic blood pressure is often a little elevated and my doctor was not concerned and said that if I took medication to lower it then it would make me feel worse. He said I could be on a betablocker if needed but I don't seem to tolerate them well. I would ask your doc what he/she thinks. Also... Even though mine is high sometimes it varies quite a lot so it is not constantly high. If yours does this too then it is not as much as a concern rather than part of the dysautonomia.

BATIK.......I actually eat very healthy. No processed foods, no meat, no fried food. When told to add salt, I bought popcorn to snack on, and added salt to my veggies, potatoes etc. at dinner only. I really like salt so I do add a little more than just one little sprinkle, but over all it is not excessive.

JACKIEMXOXO.... That is interesting. I think what is concerning, is that my doctor tried to take me off a beta blocker, and the result was that my heart started mis beating a lot, and I got very uncomfortable chest pain....so I went back on. You would think this med would keep my BP down. Like you said...this just could be another dysautonomia malfuntion. :)

I often get diastolic above 100, some times reaching 110 and with systolic between 130-140. I am currently taking a low dose metoprolol. EP suggested moderate salt intake and good hydration for now before i get a diagnosis. She said she was not too worried about diastolic though. I am very sensitive to processed foods like pizza or burgers and used to get very high readings consistently after eating those. so now am trying to eat more home cooked food.

Hi,

Please consider making a quick call to your doctors office tomorrow. They know all the meds you are on, and can speak to how you are adding salt and such. If it's worrying you, it's worth a call.

I am a fast heart rater and a blood pressure dropper. When I was on a medication to help me retain salt, I was asked to keep twice daily records of my blood pressure (I have one of those machine do dads at home). I was also asked to note any headaches.

I bug the heck out of my doctors. Some of these medications are extreme, and I like myself enough to call when I have a question. If I don't understand something, I'll either ask again, or ask for a nurse.

Hoping you get the answers you need.

-K