Really Positive Research.

MarkA

I like seeing articles like this and hope it leads to an effective tratment or a cure. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/among-trillions-of-microbes-in-the-gut-a-few-are-special/ The course of treatment discussed here resetting the gut microbes reminded me a of a product I stumbled on awhile back. It makes me hopeful for the future that positive things are coming!

• 2 weeks later...

This might be very relevant for those who have Mast Cell issues. I could go on for hours about this! The connection between the gut, brain, autoimmune, hormones, chemistry and nervous system ...is amazingly complex! I have done hundreds of hours of research on this topic in relation to my son with Crohns and for myself. He was successfully in clinical remission in 2.5 months on enteral nutrition and gut flora replacement and has no adverse side effects that are caused by the typical treatments. If you are interested, I can post a bunch of links to videos that explain in depth. It beats reading the entire GI medical library! I am not a physician...just an information hog. If you have a question, I can find a reference from a published article that answers your question.

Its encouraging when we can start to put the not so obvious pieces together and develop a working theory or at least a new idea to contemplate.

Thanks for this, it is really interesting. The part about early life use of antibiotics was especially pertinent to me:

A number of studies have found a small but significant correlation between the early-life use of antibiotics and the later development of inflammatory disorders, including asthma, inflammatory bowel disease and, more recently, colorectal cancer and childhood obesity.

I had a several month run of strep throat as a child and was on antiobiotics for a long time until my tonsils were finally removed. In my adult life I've developed allergies, asthma, me/cfs, irritable bowel, and now POTS. My sister also had strep/antibiotics for several months at the same time as I, but she was almost nine years older and has had a healthy adulthood.

It makes me realize how much of the body's systems and pathways we don't understand at this point and how science is an ever ongoing process.

Wow this is very interesting bc my daughter took antibiotics for the first 5 years of her life. Her ureters (tubes that carry urine from the bladder) were not developed and she stayed on antibiotics to keep the urine from backing into her kidneys and causing infections. This is very promising research and hope it is taken seriously.