Sweating Issues In Child

jjb

HI all. I have a 10 y/o with a long list of health conditions, though thanks to help from great doctors she has been fairly healthy.

She has suspected mito issues, seizures and had been diagnosed with hereditary autonomic neuropathy.

One of her autonomic issues was anhidrosis. She did not sweat at all on the sweat test (but it was only the distal test). At the time, I knew she at least sweated some .... so she had/has partial anhidrosis I think.

Anyway, last spring shortly after turning 10, she began sweating under arms. Quite a bit with very strong odor (I mean very strong).

We started to use a child safe deoderant and this was helpful re odor.

Her seizures had been fairly well controlled with a medical dietary treatment for several years having 2 to 3 seizures a year. This past October she had a very long seizure (multi focal) with many more symptoms than usual that would not stop with the usual emergency rescue med and we needed to call 911 (first time in 8 years). In Dec we decided to begin a new med (Onfi).

My daughter also has a history of allergic type eczema (raised red rashy irritated). Also in Dec my daughter began having her eczema patch under her arms (I cannot remember if this was before or after the Onfi). We assumed it was areaction to the deoderant so we stopped the deoderant. No help so we switched to a special eczema soap. Still no help. After a few weeks of no deoderant, I realized she has abolutley no body odor and I think she has stopped sweating under her arms.

Beginning Jan, she had a generalized convulsive seizure. (first one fo those in 8 years as well). We suspected that was from a possible missed dose of meds. Then a couple of weeks later had another prolonged focal seizure. And possibly a small one this past weekend. So now we are seeing a signifcant increase increase and change in seizures (both in frequency and pattern.

I kind of assumed this is related to hormonal changes and we will see an increase for a while.

But now I am wondering if the sweating abnormality has any signifcance here.

Any thoughts on why a child would begin sweating a lot under arms, produce very stong odor, then completely stop around six months later?

Is the udnerlying issue of this problem related to the seizure increase? Inflammation of a nerve (or nerves)?

Thanks

Jen

Hi jjb,

Welcome to the forum!

Unique and annoying sweating issues are very common amongst those of up with autonomic dysfunction. I sweat profusely at times that it seems I should feel cold and then will not sweat enough when I need to to cool down. Unfortunately, temperature regulation and sweating are controlled by the autonomic nervous system.

I have extremely sensitive skin (with many allergies) and the only deodorant I can use is Dove. Of course, we are all different so what works for me may not work for your daughter, but, I have found Dove deodorant to be the gentlest on my skin. That said, there isn't anything that helps really control the sweating for me. And, yes, the odor is quite strong. I usually take 2 or more showers a day when the warmer weather strikes. I didn't always have the issue with strong odor when I sweat, so I have assumed it is part of the dysautonomia. I have found that having a fan to blow on me after showers helps at least get me through the getting dressed part of my day a little easier. I seem to want to sweat immediately after showers. (Gross!) I can actually use spray deodorant on my feet which helps control the sweating and odor there to some extent. I dress in layers in all weather so I can get down to a tank top or tshirt or I can bundle up during the odd times when I get cold for no reason. I also have ice packs that came with belts so I can strap them around my torso (with some sort of fabric in between to avoid cold burns) which helps me be able to go outside in warmer weather for a little longer than I can otherwise. I also keep an extra gray tshirt in my car since it goes with anything and I can change into it if I feel really stinky and have to be around people.

Please let your daughter know that she is not alone and that there are other people who are struggling with this. It is a really emotion provoking symptom because it is noticeable to the people around you. It can be embarrassing and lonely when it is happening. And, it is not a hygiene issue which I know in the back of my mind people are thinking it is when I'm out and about.

Also, she may need to be tested again if you feel she is now experiencing significant anhydrosis since this can actually be dangerous by not helping the body to cool properly.

Hang in there,

Katie

I'm sorry your daughter has such issues and at such a young age. Lately I have developed being very sweaty, and am on propranolol 30mg to see if it helps. definitely something not right with the ANS. Sorry I can't help much more.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Has your daughter been checked for any yeast or fungal infections. I have read articles that this can sometimes cause the strong odor under the arm but so can puberty. My son was 11 when diagnosed with POTS and he had the strong under arm odor. He did not have any infections but his hormones were really kicking in because he would wake up drenched in sweat. The extended release clonidine helped this problem.

Her Neuro questioned a yeast infection. The armpit eczema has improved but is still there a little. As I mentioned both body odor and sweating seems to have stopped. This is what I am concerned with. I know anhidrosis can be dangerous.

In my daughter's case , the Neuro thought she had nerve damage that caused the anhidrosis. He did not think she would be able to sweat. She eventually improved with sweating until recently. So I am wondering if there is inflammation or something somewhere. Something not only triggering worsening of anhidrosis but seizures too.

Has anyone been dxd with anhidrosis then began to sweat normally but then lost ability again?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Has your daughter been checked for any yeast or fungal infections. I have read articles that this can sometimes cause the strong odor under the arm but so can puberty. My son was 11 when diagnosed with POTS and he had the strong under arm odor. He did not have any infections but his hormones were really kicking in because he would wake up drenched in sweat. The extended release clonidine helped this problem.