Hands Turning A Deep Red/purple

Xhale1991

Does anyone else experience this? Is this common in those with pots or should I assume it is something else unrelated to dysautonomia?

When my symptoms are bad my hands develop a very deep red/purplish hue. Also the veins in my hands are becoming much more visible than they ever were before I got sick.

this is one of the first things I notice when a strong spell is coming on. My hands turn the colors just like you mentioned. Then the veins are popped out all over my hands arms and legs. So inflated they feel tight to push on. My hands even feel like they have pressure inside them. I get this when standing very long or after getting hot. Like standing in a line at walmart. Ill feel kinda woozy then the hands. I know I don't have long to get down after that. My wife can tell when I'm having an episode without asking just by looking at my arms and hands.

My palms become very deep magenta and mottled when I'm upright, even sitting. The veins in the backs of my hands often become very large and engorged with blood when my inflammation levels are high. My hands usually seems swollen at those times too. My hands will feel warm and somewhat itchy/burning at those times.

This happens to my feet all the time and always happens to my hands when I take a shower. It seems to me that it is blood pooling in the limbs that is causing this discoloration, which is why you may associate the purplish color of your hands with the coming of a POTS episode. If too much blood is in your hands or feet, then not enough is in the brain, and the human body doesn't really like that very much.

Stefanie

Oh yes. When I've been standing too long for me, but especially when I get hot! My hands swell and turn red. At this point, like Stefanie mentioned, I know my brain and heart aren't getting enough blood volume due to the pooling. At this point, my heart begins racing and I feel lightheaded.

But, I also have the opposite. My hands turn deathly white and nails purple when I am cold. This can happen in other peoples' normal temperatures, too. For me, I can be in a room at 69F and be absolutely freezing and have the white hands.

There is very limited perfect conditions for me.

Stefanie, I'm pretty sure I have it. I just look at it like it is not a disease in itself, but due to whatever is causing my POTS. I'm patiently waiting for that autoantibody clinical trial Vandy is doing, so hopefully when they can treat the antibodies, things like the Raynaud's phenomenom will go away! I am trying hard to be patient!

Yes, I have this too. I get it from standing too long, being in a warm place and randomly. Every day, at around 5-5.30 my hands turn deep red and the veins in my arms, hands REALLY pop out, settles down the happens again after 9 and then stays like it. It's very weird and uncomfortable!

It happens to my feet too, but later on in the evening, they escape the 5.00 pm warming.

Sue - I get the white, cold feet too and have to take care not to develop chilblains. It's seems like some sort of vascular instability/over-reaction.