Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xhale1991

Exercise Intolerance

I wanted to make a thread on this and see if anyone else can relate to me.

I don't get the typical PEM symptoms most people talk about on CFS/dysautonomia boards. When exercising I notice negative side effects immediately. My body becomes very cold and I break out in a cold sweat, nausea, skin becomes clammy, dizziness, hearing loss, weakness, shortness of breath, and begin to feel pretty terrible for about 30 minutes. After I stop working out however, these all go away. Not immediately, but after an hour or two I feel "alright". I don't notice any symptoms that become worse hours/days after exercising like most describe with post exertional malaise. Any idea as to what this may be or what tests I should get?

I do have the immediate symptoms you speak of. Its definitely dependent on the type of exercise, the ambient temperature, humidity, how I'm generally feeling that day. I do also experience some lingering fatigue but that is also dependent on the specific activity and how I was feeling going into it. I also can experience other long term symptoms related to my EDS, such as tendonitis which develops ridiculously easily for me (even under very controlled PT).

Interestingly, I also suffer if I don't get sufficient exercise. For example, I can't sit/lie down all day (even when pots says it's necessary) without developing a migraine. I have to move around a little, even if it's only 5 minutes mulling around my back yard 2-3 times during the day. The muscles spasms that lack of mobility causes will trigger migraines and back pain. Then it becomes a vicious cycle.

It is very hard to strike the right balance between enough exercise to avoid certain problems but not so much that it causes others.

Exercise intolerance is definitely a symptom of dysautonomia, including immediate intolerance. What happens to your heart rate while you're exercising? How hard are you exercising?

I can certainly relate to some of what you're describing too. I've gone through phases with the POTS where pretty much as soon as I start exercising, I get some of the symptoms you describe…short of breath, cold, vertigo/dizziness. Like lejones asked, do you know what your heart rate or blood pressure is when you're exercising? I know I sometimes get those same symptoms when my blood pressure is running a little on the low side.

Does this happen no matter what kind of exercise you do? Again, I ask because for me, certain types of exercise cause more trouble than others. If I do cycling or any cardio that just involves my legs, I get dizzy and short of breath. Strangely enough though, if whatever I'm doing involves my legs, arms, and stomach muscles, I don't have as much trouble…I guess maybe helps the blood flow stay more even, instead of shunting it all to my legs.

Either way, I don't think you're alone in having trouble while you exercise, and hope you can get some relief from it!