Please Help, Gastroparesis Problem

houswoea

I'm having some real problems with my stomach, and it's getting worse and worse! I recently had a transit study and pelvic floor tests (pelvic floor is okay). Since I wasn't allowed any laxatives, everything just completely stopped.

Long story short, it's been weeks since I had a real BM even though I've drunk two full colonoscopy preps (miralax, dulcolax, magnesium citrate). All I'm getting now is water.

I'm in a ton of pain. Please help if you have any ideas. I'll be talking with my gi doc from mayo next week.

Thank you!

I have that problem all the time. I take Sennalax twice a day which is a pill. Then I take glycolax a powder you mix in your drink and that doesn't work as much as id like sometimes id go a day or two without going. What I am finding now that works miracles is eating a Bel Vita breakfast fiber bar. 2 hrs later im heading to the bathroom lol. I know how you feel. when I get that kind of pain it goes from my lower left abdomen up my left side back into the back of my left shoulder. Its crazy! I like the Banana Belvita bars the best but there are other flavors to choose from :) hope you feel better!!

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=belvita%20breakfast%20biscuits&typeahead=belvita

there is a link to what the belvita breakfast bars are. they are delicious! if you cant click into it then copy and paste into the url :)

I also take a senna product when I absolutlely have too. It's a mixture of senna and coloxyl. It will work after a few days. I need to take 3 pills in the morning and 3 at night. As I said, eventually it works to empty me quite a bit but the cramps are pretty dreadful just before it works and while it's working. I can spend a few hours on the toilet. Which is a bit of a problem given that we only have one in our apartment. I have to 'reserve' the toilet. And I get anxious when it starts to work. Last time my daughter and her husband dropped in and I spent the whole time on the toilet and they could not use it which was pretty embarrassing for me. I try not to take the coloxyl and senna too often as my body will now occasionally have a normal bowel movement or close enough to normal that I feel comfortable. Lately I've been taking the senna product for the 3 days about every 2 weeks. I've tried everything else and I have found this to be the best of a bad lot of choices for me.

Nine and half years ago, my bowels stopped completely and I really struggled to get things to work for many years. But the problem is not quite as bad now. It's not good, but it has improved. I hope it improves for you, too. I am glad you are seeing your gastro doc next week. I hope he can come up with something that can help you.

As for food helping. Nothing helps me for long. I can't eat whole grains etc as they will block me up and cause me lots of abdominal pain. I do try to eat pears as they are soluble fibre and gentle on my stomach. Sometimes changing diet can shake things up. A week and half ago I started eating vanilla icecream (it's summer where we are). I also feel way too hot all the time (combination of POTS and Erythromelalgia) and sitting in front of a fan and eating icecream helps cool me a little. I was eating quite a lot of icecream each day and my body responded with almost natural sized bowel movements from day too. Go figure, that high fat and sugar could cause this. (I'm not lactose intolerant). But, I am not sure if it's because I've cut back on the amount of icecream I'm eating each day or if my body has got used to it (this happens to me, I've found) but the bowel movements have stopped and I'm contemplating taking the senna stuff again in the next day or two.

blue

Oh no! This is why I've been putting off these exact tests myself. I can't imagine going a week without laxatives of some kind. I hope you've gotten some relief since posting this. Miralax doesn't do much for me at all, two things I've found work better than miralax are magnesium and molasses (not together, yuck). I know you tried the mag citrate already, possibly a different form of magnesium? I've recently been using a supplement with mag gluconate and it seems to have a stronger effect on my bowel.