Pounding Heartbeat In Ear?

artluvr09

I have noticed lately that when I feel my heart pound I hear it in my right ear as well. It's really weird. has anyone had this? Plus every morning I noticed when I wake up my pulse is in the 90's - 101s. anyone get similar symptoms?

I hear my pulse in my ears quite often. My pots neuro says it's quite normal for him to hear this from his patients. I only have an elevated pulse upon waking if I'm startled out of my sleep. For example, this morning my dog started barking like someone was trying to break in! It startled me out of my sleep so my pulse was high before I even sat up. (Turns out the post office decided to deliver a package at 6:30 this morning. I hope this is just a holiday thing because I do not like being woken up this way!)

I too hear my pulse in my (left) ear almost constantly.

Didn't know that this seems to be common with Pots - thanks, Katybug for the Info!

I was always wondering, as the so called "pulsatile tinnitus" my be an indicator for some other conditions. Did your doc mention any special Pots-cause for this...?

No, nothing specific. ...just that he hears it a lot. I also have constant, sometimes severe, tinnitus with a high pitched sound. I have had it as long as I can remember. Until pots came along, I actually thought it was a normal sound that everyone experiences (kind of like your own personal white noise). How very wrong I was...

@artluvr: When I wake up, my pulse is about 70, but lately it happened often that it was 90-100 right after I went to bed in the evening. Sometimes, this kept me from falling asleep for some time.

I really would like to know what the pulse in our ears means?? There must be a physiological cause.

• 6 years later...

@Jane Sardelle - I believe the swooshing sound can occur when the blood vessels dilate suddenly to allow more blood to flow to the head, this would especially explain when it occurs upon standing up and walking. 

On 6/9/2021 at 4:05 AM, Jane Sardelle said:

I've had pots for years with on/off flares. I'm going through a flare now and for about 3 weeks Ibhave whooshing heartbeats in both ears when I stand up and walk, also sometimes in bed when I turn over. It's concerning.

I get this. When I stand up its like a head rush and whooshing in my ears. Happen more when I haven't got my compression socks on. Also when I turn on my left said in bed it don't stop whooshing 

@artluvr09 - That sounds like Pulsatile Tinnitus. This can be an indicator for high intracranial pressure. Have you had your eyes checked recently? Your optic nerve is a good way to tell if you have IIH. Your optic nerve could be swollen from the pressure (called papilledema). If you don't have papilledema, then you can still have IIH. I really like this facebook group for info on it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/198904797135988

Also, this doctor does a lot of work on this, and this is his website. His name is Dr. Athos Patsalides. Link: https://www.athospatsalidesmd.com/