H. Pylori Anyone?

jackiemxoxo

I have been really symptomatic the past 4 weeks and most of it has to do with GI issues. I am having bad tachycardia and varying blood pressures too but I feel like my GI symptoms are making everything worse. I tested positive for H.pylori through a blood test which seems to be active but they say that blood test can still be positive from old antibodies. I am going to the GI doctor today to see what they say. Most likely will need more testing but I am trying to avoid being scoped because I dont handle anesthesia well. Also, I am nervous to be positive for H.pylori because the triple therapy can bring about c.diff which I had in the past after getting my gall bladder removed. Anyone else had to deal with this?

Update- I went to the GI doc and he wants to scope me. I am not sure if I am going to do it or not but I probably am because he won't treat blindly. He thinks I might have Eosinophilic Esophagitis (allergic esophagitis). Some other possibilities are reflux, ulcers, h. pylori, or bile salt reflux because of no gallbladder. I think he is right about the Allergic Esophagitis because I have a reaction when I eat chicken and I can only eat about 5 things right now and I still am uncomfortable. Man, it really ***** being diagnosed with dysautonomia and then to have these food allergies on top of it seem incomprehensible. I just hope I find something that can make my symptoms better

Hi Jackie, I don't blame you for not wanting to be scoped! But, it would probably be the best way to rule all of the possibilities out.

I just had a fecal test for h. pylori because I refused an upper GI. There's also a breath test. Maybe look into that as a less invasive possibility before the option of a scope?

Sorry to hear your diet is so limited because of symptoms. I hope you find some answers.

http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/26124-effects-of-severe-ige-allergies-on-mast-cells-and-autoimmunity/

Hi Jackie,

I didn't k ow if you had seen my thread regarding food allergies...well really any severe allergies, so I attached the link above. Hope you get to the bottom of it. I just started a very restricted diet due to the food allergies. I test allergic to everything except chicken and beef (and fish which I hate and don't eat).

Hi katie, the articles you listed were helpful. My GI thinks it is allergic esophagitis and my endo thinks it might also be mast cell. I just did a blood allergy test today so we will see. I know for sure that I react to chicken and that is probably what set off my initial symptoms. I am down to eating a handful of foods and hopefully healing my GI tract to see what I can tolerate.

Hi Jackie,

My immunologist did skin patch tests on me even though my blood tests came back non-allergic to anything. When we did the skin patch tests I was highly reactive to the same foods as the blood tests tested. The immunologist said the skin patch tests are much more accurate (albeit a pain in the rear end.)

Katie

Hi and congratulations! I had an endoscopy and colonscopy done a couple of weeks ago. I was just dx'd with H. pylori and am 3 days into the triple therapy. I understand that there are less invasive tests (breath and blood test - antigen, I believe), and non-pharmaceutical treatments that you may be able to undertake (a naturopath may be able to shed some light on these). I am considering pregnancy, so I will look out for your posts. Wishing you all the best for a smooth pregnancy and please let us know how you're doing!

Congrats on the pregnancy. Sorry to hear about the GI flare.

I'm guessing they won't do the scope now as they won't want to introduce anesthesia at this point? If you do end up doing one at some point, you can ask your doctor to request special staining for mast cells from the biopsy samples. I have had a really hard time getting any positive lab tests to show up for mast cell problems but when they did the special staining on my biopsies, they showed up with lots of extra mast cells in all my samples. The tissue looked fine upon exam (for the most part) but the evidence showed up when they did the special stains. EE is also being found to be very common in this population.

Hope you can find some relief soon. Best wishes for a smooth pregnancy. Maybe the added blood volume will help your POTS symptoms.

Hi everyone, thanks for the well wishes. So far I am doing a food elimination diet but I still feel like crap so I don't know if it is really working. I got blood tested for food/indoor/outdoor allergies and everything came back negative which from what I read on the internet does not mean much. My IGE levels are still high elevated so my body is having an allergic response to something. I am just trying to take it easy for now and research ee and mast cell.

• 1 month later...