Other Antinausea Meds...

Becia

Currently battling a UTI that has me extremely sick at the moment, and need some advice... For nausea/vomiting control, I typically use phenergen tablet and Zofran tablets, more Zofran than phenergen. In hospital, I take Zofran IV because needing the extra injection for the phenergen, triggers me because I'm sensitive to touch, and I end up sicker from it, so it's a very rarely used way for me.

My home health nurse is trying to get IV Zofran for home use for me, since this infection has left me with some quite severe and uncontrolled vomiting. I'm still trying to take my meds, but today's check up kinda made me and the nurse think the medicines are not staying in the body long enough before vomiting sick up. I do IV fluids at home every other day, and I'm hydrated, but not getting any food and nutrients in me, and that can take a toll as well. My doctor is refusing to administer the IV Zofran at home, and called in more phenergen.

I'm allergic to compazine and raglan for my stomach, allergic to the Zofran that dissolves under the tongue, and the rectal phenergen doesn't work at all with me (also doesn't stay with me, as the antibiotic and the mestinon have given me "wonderful diarrhea")... What else is out there? In addition to the meds, I'm trying to sip ginger ale, peppermint tea, using peppermint essential oil in my water... I am out of ginger tea or I'd drink that too.

What else is out there for this? I'm thinking once the infection subsides, this will too, but in the meantime, I'm going on two weeks of not keeping foods down, throwing up even the blandest diet. There's not much left in there, and I think my stomach and body would appreciate a little more, lol.

Thanks in advance. :)

Have you tried Transderm Scop and Promethazine together. My son had to use this combination when he started PEX but now he only uses the Promethazine. The Zofran had no effect on him either.

Oh, I almost forgot. I get ginger form a natural foods store and nibble on a piece every day. Seems to help me. Hoping you find something. Sorry I missed the paragraph about the raglan. I use ginger because almost all meds make me feel worse or weird!

When my vertigo first kicked in I used the transfer patch, it it kinda helped, but my doc will not prescribe that for some reason unknown to me. Will ask about it again though.

I drink ginger ale and tea, will look for some ginger chews to see if they help too. I can't stomach raw fresh ginger, it bothers my mouth too much, even though I love the smell and taste of it in food.

Will look into that one as well, thanks Katie :)

I'm really hoping this calms down by next week, because I really want to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner without too many issues.

• 2 months later...

I'm allergic to IV Zofran (I wish I weren't b/c the ER doc's tell me that's the best stuff) and IV Compazine makes my HR go way up...does anyone else have that problem with IV Compazine? (also, just an FYI, I've also been told that patients w/ seizures should avoid Compazine as it lowers the seizure threshold)

Tigan has always worked really well for me..especially during migraines when I've been vomiting for 4 or 5 days straight. Sorry to be graphic.

Never heard of the Tigan. I have issues with compazine and reglan causing my heart rate to skyrocket, don't know if I've ever had a seizure with them. They gave me compazine one time in er and didn't believe me when I said there was something wrong... Guy could barely hear my heart, it was speeding. I think it was 190s when they finally put a monitor on me. This was way before POTS diagnosis, I had a migraine and needed IV meds for. I was probably 14-15... Never again.

I love IV zofran, just wish my doctors would let me do that at home through my PICC when it gets to the point I can't get the four plus pills for nausea Im taking a day down me (home health says I'm ideal for doing this, instead of risking ER each time, as I'm still constantly throwing up). I see a gi doctor on the 12th, hoping to get some answers and relief.

Yeah, I'm finding im allergic to a lot of inactive ingredients in medication. There's one in Zofran ODT that sets my headaches something fierce. I'm also allergic to an ingredient in this mouthwash I was using for a week once. Major migraine starter.

I'm having surgery coming up in 26 days (it's a big deal it me, so yeah, I'm keeping track of the days, lol), and all I can think of is I'm gonna be throwing up my toenails...might as well make my bed next to the toilet...praying they can control that, as well as my pain, but really, control the pyrotechnics of the gastric type.

Have you tried cyclizine? That's used a lot in the uk for migraine type motion sickness and sickness in general other than the ones that work directly on the stomach like Reglan. Cyclizine IV does tend to give some funny reactions on some

People like me but taking it orally I didn't really have any issues apart from feeling a bit spacey but it cleared the nausea right up

Have you tried cyclizine? That's used a lot in the uk for migraine type motion sickness and sickness in general other than the ones that work directly on the stomach like Reglan. Cyclizine IV does tend to give some funny reactions on some

People like me but taking it orally I didn't really have any issues apart from feeling a bit spacey but it cleared the nausea right up

I hadn't heard of that one, but will look it up :) thanks for the info!

Glad I could at least possibly be of some help - let me know if you get any further with it or need to ask any other questions. I've got a lot of pharmacy knowledge I could help you with if you are looking at different alternatives and would be happy to look more up for it if needs be x

my doctor is talking to me about actually putting a pace maker in my stomach to help with the nausea and digestive problems...i have read some (very litle) on it and it does seem to help well with the nausea but not much for the digestive issues so i am holding off..i was hoping someone on here had that procedure done and could tell me if it works or not..i am not big on meds or prcedures..if i had done everything they had suggested i would be worse off then i am right now..so i am leary about this as well..thanks

• 3 weeks later...