Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
janiedelite

New Studies At The Vanderbilt Autonomic Dysfunction Center

There are two new studies that the staff at the Autonomic Dysfunction Center at Vanderbilt are recruiting subject with POTS for. The Autonomic Dysfunction Center is part of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 3228 Medical Center North, Nashville, TN 37232.

First Study:

Acute Transdermal Vagal Stimulation for the Treatment of Postural

Tachycardia Syndrome
Do you feel lightheaded and dizzy and have a high heart rate when sitting upright
or standing? Have you had these symptoms for more than 3 months? If so, you may have
postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS). If you are between 18 and 75 years old and are
not pregnant, you may be a good fit for our research at the Clinical Research Center of
Vanderbilt University in Nashville.
We would like to know how tiny electrical stimulation (not painful) of the skin of
your ear lobe may affect your heart rate and blood pressure. We hope this study will help
us to develop a new therapy for your disease.
If you are eligible, you will stay in the Clinical Research Center for 5 days. You
will receive a special diet during this time.
We will perform an initial screening of your heart activity, blood pressure, and
medical history. We will perform a test of how your heart and blood pressure change in
response to changes in position (lying down, sitting, standing) and during breathing,
exercise (handgrip), and putting your hand in ice water for one minute.
We will test your responses to stimulation on the ear lobe while lying down on
one day and during upright tilt on two other days. During these tests we will measure
your heart rate and blood pressure and take some blood.
Interested persons can contact Bonnie Black, RN, at bonnie.black@vanderbilt.edu or a generic email at adc@vanderbilt.edu
Second Study:
Modafinil and Cognitive Function in Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)
A common symptom among patients with POTS is “brain fog” or a difficulty in concentrating.
We are seeking patients with POTS between 18 and 60 years of age to participate in a research
study to better understand this difficulty in concentrating. The purpose of this study is to learn if
two drugs, given alone or in combination, can help POTS patients to concentrate.
This study will involve a 6-day stay in the Vanderbilt Clinical Research Center. We will examine
how well your autonomic nervous system is working and then give you drugs to see if they help
you to concentrate. After receiving each drug we will measure your brain function using tests on
a computer, give you some surveys, and measure your blood pressure and heart rate. There is no
compensation for this study.
If interested, please reply to:
Cindy Dorminy, Research Coordinator
Autonomic Dysfunction Center
Vanderbilt University
adcresearch@vanderbilt.edu

Do you know whether you can still take your prescribed medications during these studies? I only live about 2 hours away and might be interested in these studies.

I have already emailed them. Thanks, and I will let you know about that, once I have more information, and maybe you could repost for those who may be interested. I think that some wanted to be compensated for their time, although that wouldn't be an issue for me. I would hate to go backwards in my treatment, though, and be in a constant vertigo state, throwing up, heart racing, volitale blood pressure, etc. all over again. Both my father, and his father died of a massive stroke, my grandfather was only 46, so there would be a lot of risk for me to do this without any medication.

I hope you hear back soon! Yes, I'd be happy too update this post with the information you get. Thank you for thinking of others :) And best wishes on getting the treatment/answers you need!

They told me that they are in the midst of their studies. They take two patients at a time, and they are booked through January. They said that they talk to the doctors about your medications. I would imagine that some that would alter their testing wouldn't be allowed; much of the medication I am on I need for my life. I may not be a good candidate, but she didn't answer my question about eligibility.