Not A Fan Of Salt

emartins

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sure this has been discussed but I can't find it (and I'm too tired to try harder ?)

How do you peeps increase sodium in your diet?????

I like salty snacks like chips, pretzles, edemame, etc. but I've been trying to add a little salt to meals and I can't stand the taste. I know soup can have a lot of sodium but it's hard to find soup that has enough calories and macronutrients (I'm a vegetarian). I like soy sauce but don't know what to add it to.

I should also note that I'm hesitant to constantly look at labels due to an eating disorder history.

Honestly, we have discovered me taking in massive amounts of sodium orally, leads to me throwing up and having more stomach issues. I find things I do like, such as edamame, some pickles, sometimes chips, and try to eat those as I can, but I gotta be careful, or I'm sicker than I was before. I'm such a sweets person, it's hard to fit salt into liking it, but every now and then I get some salted caramels, or I get the dark chocolate with sea salt flecks. I have also taken a chocolate cup cake (such as the little Debbie or hostess brand), and placed some sea salt flecks on it.

My cardiologist told me to eat at least 6 grams of salt every day - that is difficult to do. At first, adding all the extra salt to foods was kind of gross but now, I am used to it. I'm still not sure I'm getting 6 grams though - I think to get that much, I'd have to hang a salt-lick in my office and take a lick every time I walk by - yuck!

I started taking a salt supplement (of course, after I ran it by my dr), which is basically salt in a capsule. There are a few other electrolytes in it too, potassium etc, which is similar to the salts you find in gatorade.

The brand I use is called saltstick, but I've also heard of thermotabs. Theyre usually used by endurance athletes; you might be able to find them in a GNC or vitamin shoppe. I just bought mine on amazon.

My Dr prescribed me NA tabs to take. Right now I only take a 1mg tab at bedtime(my bp drops low while I sleep), but I can take two a day. These can be kinda rough on your stomach though and might not be right for everyone. Otherwise, I try snacking on pretzels, chips, or saltines with peanut butter. Also, canned vegetables or soups. You mentioned you like soy sauce...I've actually just added it to different foods like rice as an alternative to just adding salt to my food all the time.

I like the taste, even in my drinking water. So I put 1/2 tsp salt in a 800ml/27oz water bottle. It's not pure sodium chloride, I add a bit of low-sodium salt, so that what I get is mostly sodium and a bit of potassium. Then I salt my food (with ordinary salt, the low-sodium stuff tastes vile), and sometimes have a Nuun tablet in water if I fancy something with taste, or if I'm out. Still, I would like to see how I do on more salt, so I've just bought these electrolyte tablets that you swallow whole. It's 210mg sodium (i.e. 530mg salt) per tablet, which is apparently the same amount as half a pinch of salt! I've portioned them up with ten tablets a day (i.e. 2g salt/1g sodium) per day, and will take them throughout the day and see how I feel on that. The good thing about its being such a low dose of salt per tablet is that presumably you don't get a big amount of salt in your stomach all at once, it must be more like the dilution you get with food. I'm feeling a bit brighter today than I did before taking a few tablets. Although the vulvodynia, which has been flaring up on and off recently, has flared a bit, so I will have to keep an eye on it to see if the salt tablets are the culprit.