Just a quick note-did my presentation today

Hi everyone. I'm in Chicago at my conference and had my presentation this morning. The morning started rough for me as I was awakened at 5:30 am by a bicycle race announce on a megaphone about a half mile from my hotel. Like many of you, I am NOT a morning person :unsure: takes a long time for my bp to wake up. Anyway, I took advantage of the early start and ate breakfast, went to the gym and used their recumbent bike to wake up my brain, and did my presentation from 9 to 10:20.

It went great! However, my heart rate was soaring all morning, from the time I got up, staying in the 120 to 135 range all am (140's at the gym, but that's at least one normal thing ;) ). After I finished my presentation, I went up to my room and rested. I slept for five blissful hours. I still feel funky, but am so relieved that I got through it this time without an asthma attack, migraine, or major syncopal episode.

Hugs to all--I'll be back home Tuesday night, so I chat with you all again soon. Nina

focused... <_< well.... not exactly... but I did have some Xanax about an hour beforehand (can't take betablockers). So, I my heart rate was soaring, but my brain thought everything just felt A-Okay ;)

Again, another example of better living through chemicals. Me and my meds have a love-hate relationship. I hate the idea that I need them, but I take them because I love than they make it possible for me to function.

Nina

Thanks everyone. <_<

Kristin, this is the abstract for the symposium I was presenting. Mine is the last one listed at the bottom.

http://www.abainternational.org/convention...events//133.htm

Nina

Wow, Nina, sounds very interesting. I have a degree in Early Childhood Development and have always been interested in Autism. I often thought that if I did an MA I might do some kind of research on Autism. That was many years ago and so much has been learned about it since then.

Again, I am so excited and proud that you did this. I feel like we are a big family and one persons success reflects on us all. <_<

~Roselover

Guest Julia59

Congratulations Nina,

I'm glad you were able to make it through. It is a good thing you took the xanax--------the high HR can make one a little jittery when you can't tolerate beta blockers, not to mention having to make a presentation that way.

And how nice was that----to be able to take a 5 hour nap......

I know what you mean about the love-hate relationship with meds-----------I don't think i'll ever get off the beta blocker, my HR still get's high on them---uggg..

I've taken xanax before and found it helpful during some rough spots.

Take a big deep breath---and try to get some more rest------- <_<

Julie :0)

YEAH NINA!

the end is in sight! <_< summer is really gonna be here! you're gonna make it!

and five hours of sleep...as you can see i could really go for that right about now...as i can't sleep tonight...or ever, it seems! aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh....

thanks for sharing your success. i know you've had a rough time the past few months, and a lot of re-evaluating and re-prioritizing...hang in there, my dear...

emily

EM, uh, well, I slept for five and now, I'm still awake at 5am... perhaps the nap should have been shorter ???? Nina

um, nina, what's up with this??? i hate this! i am STILL awake too!!!!! i tried to sleep, but only was in and out for a bit. now what?

i just stopped taking dexedrine, which should make me sleep better! but instead it's like i'm having rebound insomnia or something.

oh man...i hope you get some sleep...even if it's during the day today...i won't be able to do anything today...i hate lost days like this...i find them so frustrating!

and i hate being sooooo tired, but can't sleep!

okay, i am more than a bit cranky right about now! <_< sorry for my vent!

hope to see you later alligator...as in at a more reasonable hour of the day after both of us have gotten some good sleep! ;)

em

Hi Nina,

I think it's very interesting. My 10 year old son has a friend recently diagnosed with autism (he was diagnosed with ADHD earlier). For him it doesn't make a difference, he said: he was my friend before they knew he had autism, so nothing's changed. I notice, however that they sometimes have difficulties because of different behaviour, but they are friends and friends take eachother the way they are!

Well done on this,

Corina

Guest Mary from OH

Congrats Nina!! I KNEW :D you would do well!! Too bad about the fun (NOT!) wake up at 5:30am!! Those are the kinds of things that send me into "panic attacks"!!!! My adreneline just goes ballistic!! I had to turn off the phone in my bedroom, because it would just about KILL me!! Everytime it would ring in the middle of the night, it was BAD news. So whenever it woke me up, my heartrate would just skyrocket. Since my resting is 130 and after my Holter Monitor, we found out that when I sleep it varied from 80 to 200...... No wonder the phone about kills me!!

But, I am so happy for you!! To be in the field again..... I hope you don't mind if I just live vicariously through you!!

Great job!!

Take a bow!

:P

Go girlie! Fabulous! You've inspired me, that's for sure- I've been worried for yonks that any time I read a paper at a conference I'll just tip over...I've been having nightmares about Oxford dons saying "poor girl, she's like a weeble that wobbled and *DID* fall down!"

But if you can stay upright, I can too! :P

Thanks for sharing :D