Shakes Jitters And Unable To Sleep At Night

imre

This happens to me on days when I exercise or generally push too hard. The obvious solution would be to be careful and not push too hard. The paradox is, exercise is supposed to be a therapy for POTS so how do we know what is too much and what goals should we aim for? Also is there anything I can do that would allow me to exercise and not get shakes an jitters. Currently my only med is nadalol (low dose beta blocker).

my neurologist/POTS doctor always recommends starting with 5 min on a recumbent bike and very, very gradually increasing time/intensity as tolerated, but never more than 20-30 min at a time. the recumbent part helps because it does get your heart going, but it also helps strengthen the lower legs which is where most of us need to work to keep blood from pooling, but you're also not working so hard against gravity with an upright machine or walking/running.

for me personally, i find that exercise never ever helps and only hurts if i'm having a particularly sick or tired day, so I never ever trying to "push through" on bad days, The only days I find it helps me is on days that I'm already feeling a bit better. On days I feel like I can't exercise, I sometimes am able to walk around inside a grocery store or target or something (obviously outside if the weather permits) to at least keep me moving somewhat, even if it's not technically cardio.

I get this too! I've given up on exercise for now. Sometimes I even get it just from sitting up for too many hours straight. It's so frustrating because I'll be exhausted, then end up wired and shaking in bed all night.

Ramakentesh, can you explain what you mean about the hypoperfusion a little more? Would that cause a slightly delayed response too?

That is exactly what happens to me. Its incredibly frustrating. Im almost always okay with just walking and maybe very easy floor based pilates-but it's very hard to not go overboard and end up with those night time jitters and extreme fatigue with muscle achiness. Sometimes magnesium helps a good deal, specifically taking 'Calm' before bed on the night i exercised.

Ramakentesh, I agree that it has something to do with the bodies inability to control circulation. I especially feel that blood is rushing to my muscles and not circulating properly. If that is what you mean by hypoperfusion. Although I looked up hypoperfusion and there is no real category of shock that my symptoms match. Hopefully this is not a dangerous symptom.

Thanks for the responses it's reassuring that I am not the only one who has this. Susan thanks for the tip I will try Mg on days that I exercise and see how it goes.

One thing is to stay horizontal for a short while after exercising. As my heart rate decreases, it takes a bit for my blood pressure to increase enough to get blood to my head (when I'm vertical) and I'll start swooning (and then trembling). So I sit on a mat and stretch slowly (I'm flexible so am horizontal over my legs, but I've seen others on their backs).

ALSO....absolutely critical for a reason I don't understand...I add 2x electrolytes packet without sugar to a bottle of water and drink that during my workout. I tested my theory once and worked out with regular water...and almost ended up in the ER because I couldn't stop shaking. The dh had to come rescue me with salty peanuts and water.

Friedbrain, that is interesting. I agree laying down after exercise tends to help a bit but I still get shaky later when I am ready to fall asleep. I usually drink electrolytes after the workout but maybe before during and after is the way to go I'll give it a shot.