Autonomic Dysfunction = Small Fiber Neuropathy

lewis

In my quest to find what's causing my dysautonomia I read that autonomic dysfunction = small fiber neuropathy. I had a skin biopsy done and it came back normal despite the peripheral and autonomic neuropathy I have. Does this lead to a clue of what might be causing it? Anyone have similar test results?

In my quest to find what's causing my dysautonomia I read that autonomic dysfunction = small fiber neuropathy. I had a skin biopsy done and it came back normal despite the peripheral and autonomic neuropathy I have. Does this lead to a clue of what might be causing it? Anyone have similar test results?

How do you know that you have peripheral and autonomic neuropathy? I am not certain that autonomic dysfunction is necessarily associated with neuropathy, though I guess that it most often is.

My biopsy came back abnormal. The two samples that I had taken were very small samples. I thought to myself, though an accurate test, it would not necessarily be a good representation of what has gone on elsewhere. It seams that the test can confirm but not exclude the possibility of small fiber neuropathy. This is an opinion of mine.

Have you had a QSART test? That is another test that I had where the results were interpreted as autonomic neuropathy.

I have sensory small fiber neuropathy, diagnosed by a QSART test, but had normal skin biopsies. They only work if they happen to hit the right spot of skin - nerve damage can be quite patchy.

That said, your questions are a little confusing. Autonomic dysfunction does not necessarily mean you have small fiber neuropathy (although autonomic neuropathy is a form of small fiber neuropathy). How do you know you have peripheral neuropathy? Are you referring to autonomic, sensory, or motor neuropathy?

To be honest, I don't know what I have and neither does the 4 neurologists and 4 cardiologists I have seen. They have said I have parathesia, peripheral neuropathy and autonomic neuropathy although I haven't had any test to prove any of it except a failed ttt. Really tired of going to doctors that can't help. I will ask about the QSART test. Thanks the info.