Rock Climbing

emartins

After about a month of feeling miserable on the couch, I'm feeling much better. I still get tachycardic when I stand and have to sit down on occasion, but Im able to be moderately active.

Sooo, I really want to start rock climbing. I'll start indoors. I'm wondering if anyone's tried this. There's obviously an extra risk, but I'm hoping I can make it work.

I used to rock climb, long before POTS and it was awesome. As a warning, it's actually a pretty strenuous form of exercise (more than you might expect since you're not moving quickly). Just make sure you a really good spotter, so you feel comfortable letting go if you get lightheaded! Good luck! :)

Oh also, if you have a tendency to pass out unexpectedly, you might want to try walls that are angled out a bit (so you're climbing slightly tilted back) if the gym you go to offers them. They can be a little harder but if you faint you'll swing out more, so you'd run less of a risk of swinging into the wall.