Gluten And Brain Fog.

artluvr09

I am so sick of being out of it a lot! I notice different times is worse than others. Right now brain fog and super tiredness came out of know where. Maybe side effects from my migraine yesterday. I can't think clearly now and it just came on suddenly. Has anyone noticed if it is from foods they have eaten with gluten? does gluten make brain fog worse? I feel like I need answers on brain fog but all my doctor keeps telling me to do is drink water which today I drank two and a half water bottles today. Have any of you noticed any foods that helped your brain fog? It is frustrating me that it seems like my doctors all they keep saying is drink water but ive tried that and Gatorade. Also do any of you take atenolol? Have you noticed being more tired and less energy after taking it? I noticed that I have had less energy after being on atenolol for a little over a year now. Its frustrating.

I was on propanolol, a similar beta blocker to atenolol, and it made me like a zombie. I was so fatigued I was sleeping 20 hours a day and still in a haze the other 4 hours. It didn't go away so I stopped taking it (under doctor's supervision). Metoprolol did not make me sleepy or fatigued. Unfortunately, I have MCAS and had to stop taking that too as it was making my shortness of breath worse than it already was.

As for the brain fog, many things could be causing it. I have heard many times that people who truly have gluten sensitivity had a vast improvement when they removed gluten from their lives completely. Brain fog is also a common problem for people with dysautonomia as there are several things that can malfunction with bp or hr that cause cerebral perfusion and therefore, brain fog. If your pulse is low or your heart is beating fast but inefficiently, it can cause a lack of blood flow and oxygen to your brain. It is a problem I struggle with a lot. I occasionally have brain fog but my short term memory seems nonexistent these days. Various meds can also cause brain fog.

I went totally gluten free (my second try) about three months ago.

This time, there was actually a coincidence with beginning to feel better in different physical ways. Not sure, whether this is really due to eating gluten free or just the usual waxing and waning of dysautonomia (?).

However, it had no impact at all on my brain fog...

Exactly. The reactions are different.

I notice the level of gluten is substantially different.

For example, subway 9 grain bread ruins me for about 24 hours.

Headache, body melt down, gastro.

Other breads are ok for me.

I'd love to go gluten free, havnt done it yet.

Going gluten free has helped my brain fog as well as my neuropathic pain.

I am completely gluten free, but I was diagnosed with celiac two years before my pots diagnosis. I definitely have more brain fog with gluten, but I also get violently ill immediately after eating even a crumb. Then I get a couple days of severe muscle and joint pain with a week of brain fog to follow. I do notice that I have less brain fog with gobs of salt. I was told by a doctor that a lot of my weird stuff (like seeing stuff moving that isn't and trouble with saying the right word, like saying marshmallow when I mean mushroom is because of not enough blood reaching the brain) I assume the increase in blood volume from gobs of salt helps get more blood to the brain

If you don't have true celiac disease but are gluten sensitive, it might not be gluten itself but an irritant type of carbohydrate found in wheat. There's something called FODMAPS which is a collection of sugars found in various foods, and one of them is fructan which is in bread. The original researchers who identified non-celiac gluten sensitivity were unable to reproduce the results of their first study, but, they believe that it's probably not gluten causing symptoms but these other elements in wheat.

Here's a great article: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/22/314287321/sensitive-to-gluten-a-carb-in-wheat-may-be-the-real-culprit

It might be worth looking into a low FODMAPS diet.

I might just try going gluten free! That is interesting you say that hope. I eat peanut butter a lot. every night for the past couple of years I have had either a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter and milk before bed everynight and then when I started dieting I switched the sandwhich to a peanut granola bar and milk. And Thanks xRobin! I will check out the low FODMAPS diet. and Pink1975 I I have noticed that sometimes salt helps me as well.

Has anyone else noticed that certain foods worsen anxiety? I can't eat jelly or sugary foods, soda and different thins or I get anxious and cranky.

I have brain fog related to multiple things, but I notice that many foods are triggers. I also have MCAS, and have all kinds of weird reactions to food. I have had the great fortune of seeing an allergist who is also an immunologist. You might benefit from seeing one too, if there are any in your area.