Sympathetic/parasympathetic Activation Roller Coaster?

Friedbrain

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I'm pretty sure u was experiencing rapid (five minute) cycling of sympathetic/parasympathetic cycling, for several hours yesterday. I know probably why-my doctor changed my steroid medication and I had forgotten to take my evening prednisone the day before (but had taken my morning pill so..?).

Anyway, what had happened was -I was about 15 min into eating my lunch when the world started swimming. Scared (recognizing this symptom but not thinking clearly), I stupidly stood up. Dizziness and heaviness increased, onset if tachycardia. Woo, sat back down.....still experiencing tachycardia....then the jerkiness progressing to (only mild, tg) shaking. Then, as that calmed down, I had tummy cramps and then had to go #2 (sorry for tmi). Sat down feeling better tho weak and trembly. Resumed eating, raising my feet on my desk. Felt slow onset of tingles in specific areas of my body (which I know from past experience is slow onset sympathetic activation), then tachycardia, then shakes (at least milder), then goes away, then bathroom (see above). Every time I thought it was under control and I stood up, it would start all over again.

Drinking water was NOT helping. Anyone have suggestions for when this happens?

That sounds exactly like my episodes. I usually stand up too! My cardio said I should lie down and put my feet up, but I get so panicked, that my instinct is to stand up and try to 'fight it'. Maybe try to put your feet up next time. I also try to take deep breaths and try to relax myself. It seems to pass after that. The very first time, I thought I was having a stroke or something and I totally freaked-called 911- but was better by the time they got there.

Luckily since being on a beta blocker and midodrine, I've not had anymore of these episodes.

However, with you taking prednisone, that very well could be the culprit.

try drinking Gatorade and eating salty snacks like pretzels or something. Whenever I'm woozy and blood pressure is low I eat a salty snack whether its pretzels bugels or chips. It seems to help me.

• 2 weeks later...

As part of the calming down process, I kept having to go eh hem #2. Every time. Wave after wave.

For many, it may be true but this is what happens to me periodically. And it bites. My body either overreacts to the adrenaline or overproduced adrenaline. It ma or may not have something to do with my adrenal insufficiency why I respond differently, as I think you are suggesting. Thank you for your thoughts.