Wheel Chair Question

GingerA

I don't own one but used a wheelchair assist at the airport last Oct to visit my dad and also rented a scooter to go to Universal Theme Park while I was in FL. It was the best decision ever. It made my traveling doable and it allowed me to see Harry Potter Worls which simply wouldn't have been an option without the help of the scooter. It gave me some of my freedom back. I know that sounds counterintuitive but its true. I wouldn't have been able to make the trip or the theme park without the wheelchairs. So I dolled myself up and decided I was gonna be the best looking gal in a chair and off I went. I'm not that self conscious of a person so it only took me one or two people staring to get over it. Oh, we also visited a wildlife sactuary while I was there and we used a rented wheelchair there too...my dad pushed me since there were no electric options. Again, couldn't have gone without it. I'd rather go have a good time in a wheelchair than sit home and do nothing interesting for the rest of my life. I say go for it if it will allow you to get back to living.

I really think it's more the way you approach it mentally that makes the difference. If you're thinking about doing it, it's probably because there are times when you know you need it to be successful. But if you approach it as a negative, that's what it will be. If you approach it as a tool to get back to the things you love (and your kids love), then it won't be a hindrance. Think of what you can do with your kids again.

I still consider getting one, but it would have to recline. I would like one for doing things I cannot do now. I do not want it or need it for around the house, except maybe on the worst of days. I want to do all that this illness will let me do. I would like to do things with my family that I cannot do now.

My son has a wheelchair now. My husband and I held off for a good while ( 2 years) before we came to the conclusion this was going to be a necessity for my son. My son did have a few good months that he could get up and walk. However, he could only walk for about 10 minutes and then his tremors would start up againl So getting out of the house and doing an all day family activity was impossible. My son does not have a lot of upper body strength and he worked with physical therapist for several months to try and regain it. Our doctor wrote the prescription for the chair but the physical therapist had to write up the documentation of why my son needed the wheelchair with powered wheels.

My insurance approved a power wheelchair. Mine does recline some. I love it! I'm so much more included with my family. I can go down every lane at the grocery store, I can take the dog for a walk even though I live on a hill, and things like baseball games or going to the zoo are doable instead of planned without me.

I absolutely love my wheelchair and I never thought I'd feel that way.