Triathlon #1 With Pots In The Books.

Finalcntdwn

I will say it was one of the harder things I have ever done mentally in my life considering how much more awful I felt the entire time, on top of the other reasons normal folks feel awful about when doing a race and pushing their bodies. I have done several half marathons, powerlifting competitions and 1 half ironman prior to getting sick when my body was a machine into my late twenties.

The combination of dizziness and having all of my limbs go pins-needles 3 minutes into the bike then numb after the 20 min mark and stay numb until the race's end was not pleasant. I am not sure how it is for others but when I train hard now my body needs tons of rest after. Like 2 days minimum.

I would love to hear about others who compete and train hard, how it affects them and how long it takes them to recover. Also, are they doing PT for their POTS or anything special? What you compete in and so forth.

I cannot wait for true Autumn and winter to try Cyclocross and some Ice races.

"Go Hard or Go Home" let the paramedics sort it out.

Wow, I'm impressed! I'm working on the Levine protocol since about two months now but so far it seems that competing won't be for me. I'm fine with that although I'd love to be able to do a run (of any kind of distance!) which is what I'm working towards. My main goal though is get any kind of improvement form exercizing which hasn't happened so far. But I will keep trying!

Wow this really inspires me. I love to run but the reflux keeps me from running. I have times where I feel my dysautonomia is leaving me alone but the reflux is always there. My goal was to make it the top of one the highest peaks in Utah this summer with my 8 yr old and 10 yr old kids. 14 mile hike and we made it!

• 3 years later...
On 9/14/2014 at 10:45 PM, lewis said:

Wow this really inspires me. I love to run but the reflux keeps me from running. I have times where I feel my dysautonomia is leaving me alone but the reflux is always there. My goal was to make it the top of one the highest peaks in Utah this summer with my 8 yr old and 10 yr old kids. 14 mile hike and we made it!

Now that is awesome!!  I know I would have a hard time climbing hills over a distance, heck even flights of stairs are the bane of my existence.   

39 minutes ago, Finalcntdwn said:

Now that is awesome!!  I know I would have a hard time climbing hills over a distance, heck even flights of stairs are the bane of my existence.   

I used to have a hard time but not anymore. Nobody, of any health, can climb a hill or mountain if they are not ready to do so without any preconditioning. You can start by walking a little today, a little tomorrow and a little more after that. I just came back from a vacation of hiking in the Green Mountains. Last year I could not have done it, this year it was possible. This was possible because I take my medicine, eat right, hydrate,  and exercise daily. I had to start off very slow. My doctors have sent me to physical therapy for balance, gait and strengthening--I go twice a week. I don't faint as often and I can endure a lot more; total win. 

On some forums, talking about exercise needs a trigger warning in the title, then the post becomes all about how much weaker everyone is from the next poster and what they're NOT doing to get better. Ugh.  Phooey to that. You will never be discouraged here. Move your body. Dysautonomia is complicated so the trainer at a gym can't handle it but a physical therapy doctor can build you up with slow progress. You can do it. (I am 60, btw.)

Good for you, Finalcntdwn!  I do not compete, and I have difficulty maintaining an exercise regimen (not because of POTS), but I do enjoy exercising for its own sake.  I do compound heavy lifting, cycling (mostly indoors these days, with TV and a magazine), and run/walk.  I like most outdoor sports, but I do not do any of them on a regular basis.  It seems to me that the same get-fit strategy holds for POTSies and healthy people:  keep exercising, and keep gradually increasing your volume and/or intensity.