Symptoms Of Heart Failure At Night-Dysautonomia?

Friedbrain

Several ys ago, I was diagnosed with dysautonomia but that was during a lot of stress. For the most part, I'm ok these days minus a few crises times when I ended up in the ER. I'm starting to go through menopause so the hormone changes may be making everything erratic (and bring on sporadic episodes of dysautonomia?). I've been having some episodes at night (and last night was really bad) where I don't feel like in getting enough oxygen while lying down. And my stomach feels funny like it's heavy (and affecting my breathing, which doesn't make sense). It's an aweful, uncomfortable feeling so I flip over and over again but no position other than upright works. Suck in my tummy, doesn't help-just feels weird. Last night when it was so bad, I took a left arm Bp - 78/52!! Hr 71! My right arm was more normal at 94/63 hr 67, but I read that difs >10 aren't good and that the left arm more accurately reflects the heart function . My reading sounds like my heart was not pumping effectively and that the stomach discomfort while lying down was from pooling. Alao, all moght ling, i kept getting adrenaline jolts waking me up like id been shot. I suspect maybe my bp was drpping below sustainability. I'm not even 50!! Since I'm better today (but not 100%), I don't know what to do. Does this sound familiar? Other than dysautonomia related tachycardia and some days of chest pain (that an ER doc said was probably inflammation so now I ignore it), I'm very healthy and athletic. In fact, exercising (I lifted some weights last night to get my heart pumping more) helps! Thank you for your thoughts!

I would go to a cardiologist and get checked out. I too have shortness of breath and weird feeling in my stomach. I also have pressure across my upper chest, throat, and up into my face. I had a treadmill stress test a couple of weeks ago and it showed some abnormalities, so I'm supposed to have a nuclear stress test sometime soon. We also just had a forum member who found out she has a bad heart valve. So I really think you should see a cardiologist. Best wishes to you!!

Anything new that is concerns you should be checked out. We have so many bizarre symptoms that we want to dismiss this or that, but there are things that we should not. You need to know for sure.

If it concerns you enough, get it evaluated immediately. Then follow up with a cardiologist.

I have kind of the same thing! I never thought to bring it up, as I thought it was just one of my weird things. I cannot lie on my back, either flat or using 1 or two pillows. I would need 3 or 4, so I would be in the propped up position. When I lie on my back, I feel as though my stomach is physically blocking my blood flow in my upper abdomen. At the same time, it seems that the air that I'm breathing in, or some of it, goes into my stomach. With time, this seems to somewhat inflate my stomach and put pressure. I think this is what is happening, because when I stand up afterwards, I burp a lot of air back out. I just sleep on either of my sides. If I accidentally roll over on my back while sleeping, I soon wake up due to not getting adequate O2(I assume).

Fwiw...she suggested ruling out (or in) reflux. She said reflux can present as trouble breathing when horizontal and w a bloated feeling in the abdomen. I'm kind of relieved but also a little dubious because I do not have burping issues. But she recommended an upper GI to check, and trying liquid mylanta when symptomatic. Since I was supposed to have an upper GI for swallowing difficulties (I passed on this three ys ago out of fear), I will see if I can get both issues checked at the same time. The burping problems I do sometimes have are related to swallowing (I did have the swallowing dye teat which showed a sluggish epiglottis or something like that).

ANYWAY, just wanted to share that. It would be a simple idea but it feels more autonomic to me. With the really bad episode thus week, I'm still feeling residual low breathing at rest (I get up and exercise to feel better). I didn't get the feeling she was saying THIS is necessarily the answer, but a practical first step. I like the CPAP idea in the other thread here. My mom uses it at night and saw a huge improvement in her sleeping. Thank you for your thoughts and stories!