Gastroparesis Anyone?

misstraci

I was never officially diagnosed with gastroparesis but I'm almost certain I have it. I had an upper gi which showed hiatal hernia, peptic ulcer, reflux, and sitting "liquid" in my stomach that the doctor ordered a delayed emptying test for. I couldn't take the test because you had to eat either beef or eggs w/ the radioactive and I don't eat either.

My current symptoms seem to be getting worse. Nausea and bloating are my most uncomfortable symptoms that I am experiencing. I burp, A LOT. It's really gross. But the bloating is awful. I can eat barely anything and feel full for hours. Even a glass of water feels terrible. Everything 'sits so heavy' as I call it.

Any suggestions, tips, diet changes that seem to help you with bloating and nausea??

thank you

Hello,

I have always had acid reflux since a few years ago where I was diagnosed with LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) after a specifically bad episode. Since then this February it seemed to flare up again - my dr did not refer me for an endoscopy as it was proposed I was 'too young for such a uncomfortable experience' which almost seemed laughable. Anyway the normal dose of lansoprazole seemed to do little for me and she eventually put me on domperidone (I believe this is not licensed in the USA) and after researching it used for gastric motility as gastroparesis seems to be linked to acid reflux in some cases. At the time I didn't notice too much difference, but nausea was one of my main concerns (i hadn't experienced nausea with my previous episodes of acid reflux). I was on the tablets for around a month or so and after that my symptoms started to calm down. Since my possible POTS diagnosis just in the past month, unpredictable bouts of nausea (which make me feel horrendous and usually occur after eating) is one of the worst symptoms as it seems to exacerbate everything else as well, making me feel very tired and brain foggy. I have also noticed that my acid reflux may have got a little worse again too although this could be because I am spending much more time lying about. I haven't retried taking the domperidone or the lansoprazole as I had assumed this nausea was more to do with the general POTS umbrella but maybe it is in some way connected.

It is also maybe worth noting that around February was the same time I had gone in for bowel issues and they diagnosed me with IBS as everything else was ruled out. In the past month I have also been having very similar related issues to this too - I guess you could say it does feel like a stomach virus but it is more episodic although at the moment I would say it is quite bad and making feel tired. My problem at the moment is trying to differentiate between whether I have a separate stomach issue to POTS or whether they both coincide with each other. It would make sense considering I have been feeling progressively worse for the past year. What do you think?

I did also try to go gluten-free and cut down on diary for a little while (as I previously drank a lot of milk/yoghurt and cheese which I noticed was possible making me feel a little worse) and I am still undecided on whether this has actually reduced these symptoms, although I would say the bloating has been slightly improved. Whether that has anything to do with the diet or more to do with the fact I have been increasing my water intake I am not entirely sure.

As far as the stomach virus feeling you mentioned, i will say over the past few months and also more so in the last month that my period has definitely exacerbated my symptoms especially nausea etc. on the day of and first day of my period especially so to the point where I feel almost like I have a bad case of the flu, despite me not really having any issues with this in the past.

I also used to have a massive problem with drinking water and it making me feeling like it was just sitting and burping at the point was a big problem. I have found that since my POTS diagnosis and having to increase my fluid intake this feeling did subside quite a lot almost as if my body had got used to it, although I would still say the feeling does not feel nice!

Sorry for the amount of replies! I kept forgetting bits!

haha no worries Stephsurf, post as much as you like, I like the responses! I'm sorry you're also feeling so bad. What exactly is LPR and how does it differ from typical acid reflux? Maybe you should give the medicine another try, assuming it's ok with your dr, and see if it helps this time around. As far as the stomach issue being a separate issue or falling under pots. hmmm, that is hard because so many people with pots also have gi issues. the gi issues fall under the autonomic dysfunction, etc. I had stomach issues before I was diagnosed with pots but then you ask yourself, well, did i just have pots all along and not know and it all got worse and then i realized or were those stomach issues something different altogether. I had a lot of nausea for years and it turned out to be my gallbladder was broke and they removed it. I think i'm going to try to cut out dairy and/or gluten and see if that helps me any. Good luck to you too, I hope you feel better!

haha no worries Stephsurf, post as much as you like, I like the responses! I'm sorry you're also feeling so bad. What exactly is LPR and how does it differ from typical acid reflux? Maybe you should give the medicine another try, assuming it's ok with your dr, and see if it helps this time around. As far as the stomach issue being a separate issue or falling under pots. hmmm, that is hard because so many people with pots also have gi issues. the gi issues fall under the autonomic dysfunction, etc. I had stomach issues before I was diagnosed with pots but then you ask yourself, well, did i just have pots all along and not know and it all got worse and then i realized or were those stomach issues something different altogether. I had a lot of nausea for years and it turned out to be my gallbladder was broke and they removed it. I think i'm going to try to cut out dairy and/or gluten and see if that helps me any. Good luck to you too, I hope you feel better!

I don't know too much in depth about the differences, LPR in my case seems to be linked to GERD anyway but LPR means there is a dysfunctioning of the lower oesophageal sphincter which causes reflux further up the oesophagus around the throat area - when it flared up really badly a year or so ago I had the globus sensation as if there was a lump in my throat and had swallowing difficulties and almost a tight neck/throat feeling, but I haven't had anything as bad as that again thank goodness!

I know what you mean - I know I've always had an issue with acid reflux probably from my mid-teens but I never thought anything of it back then. Most likely since I wasn't feeling so horrendous then that POTS is a separate entity although I can't help think its made my symptoms worse, but thats most likely because like you said it is all part and parcel of the 'autonomic dysfunctioning.' Maybe because I have an underlying problem like yourself this may have just exacerbated it a little more than for others.

If you do decide to cut out the diary and gluten do let me know how you get on. I can't say that I have been very stringent with it I did try it for around 2-3 weeks, although what your left with to eat can be a little disheartening! I guess in some people it can take a little more than a few weeks to see any difference so I may try it again after I get all of my other tests done and a definitive diagnosis! I am trying to get my vitamin d levels checked first as I have heard that could well be related to some of my symptoms and keeps getting mentioned time and time again on other forums I have been too in relation to people who have POTS and in my case could well be rather plausible (who knows)!

Hi Misstraci. I just had the test done for Gastroparesis and the results aren't back yet. They had me drink radioactive orange juice. I am not sure why they would insist on beef or eggs. I take Zantac daily, avoid trigger foods, eat small, frequent meals, and supplement with protein shakes (Spirutein).

If you get diagnosed, there are medicines available that help speed motility. I don't have any experience with them, though.

Hi misstraci, I too had test done for Gastroparesis I was able to eat oatmeal. My test showed delayed gastric emptying. My gastrogoloist did not feel the benefits taking the meds would out weigh side effects of the meds.I'm not tolerate of meds.as well delayed gastric causes med build up.maybe meds will help you.test worth getting if you can.I too take zantac when build up is bad.also small small meals.no beef and whatch gluten. :)