Caught A Bug- Nice.

Welp... I seem to have caught some sort of bug. Possibly strep. Just what I needed. (Said no one ever.) It has really hit me hard, but I'm doing a fair job of staying hydrated- that's been my primary objective this weekend. That and getting enough the eat. I may or may not go to the doctor tomorrow... I guess we'll just have to wait and see. (I don't like going to the doctor right away.)

So... I've asked this before, but I'm asking again- any tips for coping with an illness on top of POTS?

Wished I had suggestions, but I don't. Every time I come down with something, I end up in the hospital for a few days it seems.

Do hope you feel better! :)

Ana

Go to the doctor and ask for a strep culture not a rapid strep test. Strep can be bad news and it should not be happening in adults. Have someone take you to the doctor if you cannot take yourself. If if you did not spike a fever, you still need to be checked. My son would not spike fevers and never tested positive on rapids. Last year my son had a test ran to check for past strep infections and it showed that he had indeed had past strep infections. I never knew that he had the infections because the rapid strep cultures would always show negative.

Edit:

Does this happen often to you or did it happen often in childhood? The reason I ask is because Strep is part of my son's underlying cause for POTS. Just don't want your doctors to miss a key puzzle of your POTS. Feel free to pm if you have more questions.

Yes, if you have strep you need to go to the doctor. You don't want to try to wait it out. I have a friend who's son had strep and she didn't know it and he wound up with heart valve damage.

A 'good' doctor's office will do a culture as a back up to the test. If the test is negative, they should do a culture. But ask to be sure!!

I've never had strep as an adult, but I've heard it described as feeling like you have ground glass in your throat.

Hope you feel better soon!

Yes please go to the doctor if you think it is strep. If strep goes untreated it can turn into rheumatic fever and cause heart valve damage. It can also cause glomerulonephritis and damage your kidneys. Like it was mentioned above, make sure they do a strep culture if the rapid test comes back negative. As far as coping with pots and an illness goes, stay hydrated like you're doing and try to rest as much as possible. If it is strep, you will start to feel much better after starting antibiotics. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for the concern, everyone! My throat actually already looked better this morning, so I didn't go to the doctor. I suspect that it was a virus, due to the course it ran and how it looked. Probably silly to suspect strep.

looneymom- I've had several cases of tonsillitis over the years, but never strep. I'm actually more likely to get a respiratory infections like bronchitis than I am to get a throat infection, normally. We also determined that Ehler's-Danlos Syndrome was the cause of my POTS.