Recent Abdominal Surgery Causing Severe Symptoms? Any Ideas?

Hi All :)

Haven't been on the forum in awhile due to life being a little chaotic and trying to get my Graves Disease under control. I also just recently had to have abdominal surgery due to an Ovarian Cancer scare (thankfully I am ok :) but unfortunately my POTS has gotten completely out of control again :( I am still taking all of my regular medications, trying to get salt and stay hydrated but cannot seem to get on top of the symptoms..... has anyone else had surgery and had an increase in symptoms? did anything help? did your POTS eventually settle down again? I am hoping it is just because my system was so upset and pooling and swelling issues but who knows? This illness is so frustrating!! :(

Thanks

Bren

Hi Bren!

You've had a lot going on! I'm glad the cancer scare worked out ok. I had surgery on my neck in early June. I was not completely sedentary the first two weeks after but I was much less active than even my normal lack of activity. When I started moving around more I definitely felt an increase in my POTS, almost like I was experiencing it in a purer form again. As I have been continuing to get back to my normal routines, it has slowly been getting back to its presurgery level. I'm not all the way there yet but I can feel my tolerance building back up. It didn't seem like just 2 weeks would have had this big of an affect but it did. Hopefully you will gradually feel better as I have. Always nice to hear from you.

Katie

The week before I had abdominal surgery in May my feet had no nerve pain and was almost symptom free. After the surgery I got worse than I had ever been. It's taken almost 3 months to get back to where I was before the surgery. I think it wad a combo of the anesthesia and pain pills that made me worse.

Surgery always sets me back. I've had surgery in July 2013 and still have lots of problems. What I find so strange is that the meds I was doing pretty well on before surgery don't seem to work as well as they did after having surgery. And I cannot figure out why. During surgery I had about 3 shots of epi to keep bp up. Sorry you're having problems with this too Bren and hope you will find some sort of solution!

Yes - the more invasive the surgery, the more the disease flares. The surgery, anesthesia, and pain medications are detrimental to dysautonomia. I had a robot-assisted hysterectomy a few years ago and it took over 6 months for me to get back to "normal". Hang in there - do everything you know to do to get better and eventually, symptoms will calm down.

My experience post laminatectomy 3 years ago has been worse, bit better, worse, bit better, worse etc. For the past 8 months I've pretty much landed in a heap. But although I feel the surgery is definitely a factor it's only one of a few. My Erythromelagia has gotten worse since that surgery and that has made everything else harder to deal with. Plus medication to lower bp is increasing other pots and erythromelagia symptoms.

Blue

Hope you feel better soon. POTS seems to have a mind of its own when your body is trying to get over anything major or minor. Hang in there and stay hydrated and rest as needed.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! :) that is what I pretty much figured considering my initial onset of POTS etc was after a hysterectomy in 2008. I just wasn't sure if it was POTS acting up or the hyperthyroid....seems like no matter what meds I take the symptoms don't want to settle..... I feel some relief in knowing it is probably normal for us and will settle itself down again.

Katybug sorry to hear you had to have neck surgery :( I hope you are on the upswing and managing ok :)

I appreciate the advice and support from you all :)....hugs

Bren

Hi Bren,

The first thing I can say is hang in there it will get better. But everyone is different, what surgery you had, time of recovery, how you were before surgery.

I had emergency abdominal surgery from a blown pulp. Which then turned into a week later having emergency colostomy surgery after the 1st surgery blew apart. I was in the hospital's (2) for 3 weeks. When I got home I had home care to my incision which was partially open for 3 months. To say I was sick is small. My POTS flared up so much. It took months to get me back to were I was before the surgeries. Then 6 months from colostomy surgery I had it reversed. Was not as bad as first time. I didn't have an infected abdominal like the first time. And I recovered quicker from my POTS flare. It took time but I did recover and so will you.