Where Did My Pots Go? Carotid Artery Compression?

Okay, this may sound like a weird post, but normally I have severe adreanline surges and even tachycardia upon waking up to 110 - 120 bpm depending on the day. I went to the barber a week ago and they put the cape around my neck as tight as it would go, or so it felt. My neck has been sore with pains around the carotid arteries and with what feels like a lump in my throat. Since then, literally overnight, my POTS has nearly disappeared with BPs going low then normal and I'm lightheaded and dizzy way more than I usually am. HR's drop into the 50s randomly and I feel extremely weak and then it'll rise back into the normal 60-100 bpm range, all while sitting and lying down. Upon standing up, I'm getting literally no rise in HR or if I do it's only aroun 10-15 bpm. I'm getting significantly less surges of adrenaline now. Is this a fluke? I've dropped my Metoprolol Succinate ER 200 mg to 100 mg and still have symptoms. I'm dizzy even when my BP is 134/85. I don't get it. I have been able to skip most of my Midodrine and some days only take around 5 mg. I have blurry vision as well even with sitting down, but it's worse when I stand up and I'm having trouble concentration and I feel very weak and tired. I take Florinef as well. Taking more Midodrine doesn't help the dizziness. Where did my POTS go? Where did the adrenaline go? Did that barber cape that was extremely tight around my neck for 20 minutes cause any permanent constriction of the carotid arteries, thereby lowering my BP and HR? I've read about carotid artery hypersensitivity and how constriction of carotid arteries causes a lowering of BP and episodes of bradycardia. I'm kinda worried. I'm scared if I ask doctors that they will look at me like I'm crazy. I also worry that they will think this whole POTS thing is in my head, even though my TTT showed severe POTS (less than 2 years ago) and I have had severe POTS symptoms and weight loss just a week ago and overnight it all is starting to go away. Even in the mornings my POTS isn't really there much. I still feel sick though. Any opinions?

Thank you. :)

One of the tests they did as part of my ttt (before I layed down to get resting vitals) was carotid massage to see if it caused any sort of autonomic response. I happened to not react. I wouldn't think that the barbar cape could permanently damage your artery unless it was somehow already compromised. Any chance you have EDS or any sort of connective tissue disease that would leave you more susceptible to damage? Regardless of any of that or your fear of their reaction, you should talk over this sudden change in your vitals and symptoms with your doctor.

One of the tests they did as part of my ttt (before I layed down to get resting vitals) was carotid massage to see if it caused any sort of autonomic response. I happened to not react. I wouldn't think that the barbar cape could permanently damage your artery unless it was somehow already compromised. Any chance you have EDS or any sort of connective tissue disease that would leave you more susceptible to damage? Regardless of any of that or your fear of their reaction, you should talk over this sudden change in your vitals and symptoms with your doctor.

Thanks for the response! Yes, I have EDS - Type 3 (Hypermobility). How would EDS make me carotid arteries susceptible to damage from tight capes?

Vascular tissue is made up of mostly collagen and therefore its strength is different than that of healthy vascular tissue, even in hypermobility type (what I have also). It's why many of us with EDS have pretty severe blood pooling in our lower extremities along with venous insufficiency.....our vascular tissue tends to be flacid. I can't even venture a guess as to whether they could have put the cape on you tight enough to cause permanent damage but given the circumstances it would be worth asking a well educated EDS doc about it. Easy bruising is a common symptom of EDSers.

Vascular tissue is made up of mostly collagen and therefore its strength is different than that of healthy vascular tissue, even in hypermobility type (what I have also). It's why many of us with EDS have pretty severe blood pooling in our lower extremities along with venous insufficiency.....our vascular tissue tends to be flacid. I can't even venture a guess as to whether they could have put the cape on you tight enough to cause permanent damage but given the circumstances it would be worth asking a well educated EDS doc about it. Easy bruising is a common symptom of EDSers.

Thanks for the info; appreciate it. I will ask my doctor when I see him. I do get the pooling of blood too. My EDS doctor said EDS probably caused my POTS.

I hope you are better. I might seem like it is from the cape but it is hard to tell. Pots is a long term

Illness that has fluctuations and good and bad periods. It isn't unusual to have several days or weeks of feeling normal. Anything is possible , but It is unusual to get totally better in the way you described. Only time will tell.