How To Raise Low Blood Pressure?

I've been lightheaded and really tired all day. For starters I had to wake up at 4:50 am to go somewhere today and when I was getting ready this morning I had extra time so I layed on the couch for a couple minutes while I waited for my mom to finish getting ready. I got up from the couch to get something and when I did I felt like passing out I got so lightheaded and saw black spots like black pixels. It's hard to explain like things were fading. I stood there with my eyes closed and it went away within a minute. I've been extremely tired today and really lightheaded. I took my blood pressure like 10 to 20 minutes ago and it was 91/54 and my pulse was 59. How do I raise it and become less lightheaded? I added salt to my breakfast and I had homemade chicken noodle soup which had a lot of salt as is and I added some. I have a get together with friends tonight and I don't want to feel like this when I go. I have no energy! The rain isn't helping either!

I know my BP is low when I begin to get extremely fatigued and feel weak all over. If I don't sit down or prop up then, I begin to get the symptoms you describe. Midodrine helps me a lot as well as staying hydrated - my doc once told me that my fingers should always be a little puffy - that would indicate I am holding on to fluid better. I can't always get them puffy but, I try to drink enough to keep my urine from being too concentrated. Perhaps you shouldn't get up from a seated position so fast - kind of gradually get up. I do this in the morning when I wake up - I sit up then dangle my legs then attempt to stand - it seems to work OK.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have tons and salt and water your BP could be higher over time. Compression hose is also an instant fix for BP. The others have mentioned meds which help with BP - thee are many. The most common are midodrine and florinef. The medication that helped my BP with the fewest side effects was Paxil (SSRI).

Salt and water is helpful but sometimes medications are needed.