What Would You Try Next - Looking For Advice

This is interesting. When I have tried SSRI's in the past, I felt very manic. My vascular Pots doc said that SSRIs can make pots symptoms worse but SSNRI's (not sure of the letters exactly) can help some people. I didn't ask the reasoning at the time because I wasn't interested in trying any of them at the time due to past experience. But, I am now wondering if I have the hyperadrenergic type of pots or something else going on that makes me just a bad candidate for any of them. I guess we are so similar yet our bodies reactions to things may be very different. Still, discussions like this are certainly helpful!

Acutely SSRIs improve mood, but dull emotions. They aren't quite the same thing.

SSRIs can set off a hypomanic episode in susceptible individuals, but it rarely lasts. In the first few weeks of taking an SSRI, they can actually reduce serotonergic tone by activating autoreceptors, which reduce serotonin release, but these eventually become desensitized. That is why SSRIs take a few weeks to start working to reduce anxiety, and some forms of depression. Other types of depression (So-called "Atypical depression".), can respond immediately.

Sorry if I sound like a know-it-all. It's because I am, about SSRIs at least :P. I was placed on an SSRI when I was just 7 years old, and have been taking them for most of my life. I dare any doctor to argue with me about the pharmacology of any SSRI. I know them well. Much do I rue the retardation of my emotional development by there use at such a young age.

I was among the one of the first cohort of pediatric patients to be placed on an SSRI.

kitt, it gives me energy, especially in the afternoon, which can make me have some adrenaline surges, and some anxiety at times, but the benefits far outweigh the side effects. No it does not affect the serotonin levels like SSRI's, like Zoloft, and is an atypical, non-tricyclic antidepressant slowing down the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine, and is used for many disorders including ADHD, smoking cessation, decreased sex drive and weight problems. However, if you do have a problem with seizures, this medication is not for you!

Kitt and all above, sorry, didn't know there was another page...looks like you've already found out a lot about it. But after reading all the responses about SSRI's, and SSNI's I would warn you about the fact that the stomach is referred to as your second brain, because, actually, there is more serotonin in your gut than your brain. It helps in your digestive process, so I have stayed away from them because of it. I have a friend who is unable to eat and has pancreatic issues because she was on SSRI's. They have a lot of side affects!! I would be careful.