Appointment With Dr. Suleman At The Heartbeat Clinic

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling more lately with dysautonomia, neck pain, and migraines, but I have managed to keep up with my students that I have been tutoring. I still have 2, and today I am adding one more. I have been having to lie down and rest quite a bit during the day and I try to pace myself so that I feel well enough to tutor. Unfortunately I have also been passing out more and I have had to cancel 2 sessions, but so far I have managed to work around that.

Everyday is a struggle, though, and I can only be upright and active for short periods of time. Getting everything ready (including my toddler) in the morning is hardest and I feel like I am being pushed to the edge of falling over. When I tutor my students propping my legs in a nearby chair seems to help.

I want to improve my functioning overall so I can participate more in life (family, work, social, ect.), so that is why I have scheduled to see Dr. Amer Suleman in Dallas. He specializes in treating disorders of the autonomic nervous system and has quite a bit of diagnostic equipment, including equipment to measure blood flow in the brain. I have been told to set aside three to four days for testing. I have never had this extensive of a workup so I am eager to see what it will show. I have already seen many doctors for my condition, including some considered to be the best in their field, and I have tried most of the conventional medications for POTS. So, at this point I am stuck. I am hoping this appointment will help me become "unstuck" and allow me to make progress once again. My appointment is June 2nd and I will be posting about it and the tests he orders so that other people can learn about what Dr. Suleman does.

He diagnosed me in March. He's a fantastic doctor! He also reffered me to my geneticist, Dr. Wilson, who diagnosed my EDS a month later. Dr. Suleman is VERY thorough. I don't think I could have gotten a better workup at Mayo or Vanderbuilt. Be prepared to wait a lot. He spends a LOT of time with each patient though, so even though you have to wait, when it's your turn, he spends just as much time with you. If you search "Dr. Suleman" you will find my post about my visit and all the tests he ran. I'm very happy with him :) Hope your appt goes well, and you get some answers!

And yes, my testing was done over a 2 day period, with a sleep study in between. You will be exhausted when it's over, so be prepared for that. Make sure you have salty snacks and water with you, and something to do. Make sure you bring any chargers for your phone or tablet. If you are going to his Medical City location, there are plenty of options in the hospital for food. At his McKinney location, there is a 5-10 minute drive to a shopping area with a mulitiude of resturaurants to choose from. You will have a couple of hours between tests for you to eat.

Thanks everyone! I will let you all know how it goes.

@Ctat333, thank you for the tips! I will be sure to follow them.

Wishing you the best. Keep us posted.