'swishing' Sound In My Head, Comes And Goes

Over the past month or so I've experienced episodes of 'swishing' in my head. It feels exactly like it sounds - like a 'swhish, swhish.' Not pounding like a migraine. I think it's my heartbeat but I'm feeling and hearing it in my head. When I have a migraine I can often feel the pounding in my head in time to my heartbeat. But this is different. No head pain but this freaking swishing. It might be a form of migraine. It happens when I'm at rest, so far. When I'm lying down, semi reclined. Or sitting up a bit more.

I've been thinking it's just another one of those 'things' that the body does but that I can be oversensitized to and become consciously aware of.

blue

Hi Alicia,

I took myself off to to consult with my gp this morning. I get high blood pressure at times and he's monitoring it. It was high today -- the highest he's seen it -- but I am stressing over a dental appointment I have this afternoon and I have been highly anxious. So he asked me to come in next week to check it again.

It could be that my bp has moved into the high levels permanently or it might be the stress about dental work and other personal stuff or just having a whole lot of pots symptoms cascading at the moment. Or it might be 'white coat' syndrome -- I just see a doctor and my bp shoots up. It might still be migraine causing it. Not sure about the tinnitus. I do get ringing in my ears much more often now but I'm getting older, it runs in my family, some pots patients experience it I've found out :) etc. I"ve never worried about the tinnitus. It could be a form of tinnitus.

At any rate, my GP is monitoring it now.

thank you,

blue

blue, how did the dental apt go? I get the white coat syndrome just thinking about going to a dr or dentist. When I have a migraine it takes a couple of days for things to calm down. I'm not exactly sure what happens to our blood vessels/arteries when we have a migraine, but I know they do constrict then dilate so that could be a factor. Hope you're feeling better!

Thanks Alicia,

The dental appointment was fine. I didn't need a local anaesthetic so I was pretty calm in the end. I do have to have a local in about a month's time to fill a hole in my tooth -- dentist said it would hurt too much without it. I'm dreading it because I'm reacting to locals. I have erythromelalgia (EM)which is red hot burning skin and locals will cause a flare of it, now. This reaction to locals started just over a year ago. But I'm also allergic to zylocaine cream (anaphylactic reaction) that is from the same family as local anaesthetics so it freaks me out that I may be heading towards developing a serious allergic response. I'm what they'd call 'intolerant' to locals now, but not 'allergic' or something like that.

Migraine is a bugger. I have genetic disposition to it and it's also POTS related. When POTS hit me hard my migraines increased in frequency and severity. I really do feel for you.

I get that! If I bend over too fast or get up to fast I hear a whooshing sound in my ears mostly in my left like it almost feels like a dryer going off in your head!

Thank you people.

My gp's office is right next door to where I live. He's just moved here from his old practice in the city. Yay for me. So he's monitoring my bp. I used to have a bp machine and was tracking it and it was mostly 'normal' which indicates I do have 'white coat syndrome' -- see a doc and bp goes up -- but it was also effective at measuring my pulse rate. I took my bp machine recently to check it against my doctor's one and it was working perfectly and then I dropped it on the tiles of my front door bringing it home. LOL. I really do blame POTS for being clumsy.

I think the swishing, swooshing is probably blood pressure. It hasn't happened today. Knock on wood.

blue

Thanks Corrina,

I noticed it yesterday afternoon. I think it's there more than I realize. Perhaps it's one of those bodily things that happen to everyone but I am just super-sensitive to any bodily sensations now. Hypervigilant is possibly the most suitable word. The swishing is not happening now. Anyway, I'm confident my gp and I will sort this out. Oh, oh, did I say 'confident.? LOL. I'm hardly confident of anything anymore -- a 'side effect' of pots for me has been loss of confidence.

blue