Good news

Ernie

Hi everyone,

I got my wheelchair at 4:00 p.m. today. I took an early supper and left home to go shopping. It's the first time in my life that I can relax while shopping. I could check the prices and talk to the cashier without wondering if I was going to kiss the floor. It's such a funny feeling not to have to worry about fainting. (I have been presyncopal all my life so I don't know any better.) It's like I have time to be social with people.

All the employees were nice with me. I bought a red flag and the cashier installed it on my wheelchair. Clerks helped me get my stuff when the aisle were too narrow. My flag fell off the wheelchair while crossing the street and a couple picked it up and installed it back on my chair (3 times). The lady asked me if I had an accident. I told her no I have a brain disorder that affects my standing. Then I told her I was homeboud for 4 years and I just got my wheelchair 1 hour ago and I am celebrating. She was so happy for me (she is a complete stranger!)

I was surprised that car drivers are so polite. They give me priority at cross roads.

I was surprised that at least 5 people came to see me to ask why I was in a wheelchair! I have no idea why I attract people. I thought that people would run away from me but they come to me. I think I am going to discover a new world.

People complement me on how good my chair looks. I tell them the price and their eyes fall of their sockets!!!!!

When I got home, my best friend had left me a message on my answering machine. She said: "I think you won't be home often now!" She is right. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Ernie

Ernie I am SO HAPPY that the wheelchair works for you! :D That is really great news! I hope that you will rediscover the world which you've been missing out on!

Don't get any speeding tickets riding around the streets! :) Hahaha!

Wishing you many more days like today! You definitely deserve some good in your life! congrats!

Take Care

-Steph

So glad to hear of your getting out and about, Ernie! That must be a great feeling.

For years, the actress Anna Lee on Gen Hospital was in a wheelchair. THEN in later years, I noticed she had a reclining one with her feet forward and raised a bit and her back reclined. Now that must cost a fortune. Not to mention the space issue but it would be great if they loaned those out at the grocery stores!! But it would NEVER fit in my tiny house....but nice to know they make the reclining type. I am glad you benefit from the sitting kind.

Enjoy your new found freedom.

Do you put it in the car to travel or do you use mass transit?

Hi Ernie,

congratulations on your new freedom!!!! My experience is that people are very nice to you once you're in a wheelchair (or an electric cart). They help you and often ask why you're in a wheelchair. It's a new chance to tell people about dysautonomia!!! Enjoy your wheelchair as much as possible, expecially the moments when you can visit a museum or sit along the river. Summer is coming up, you got your wheelchair on a perfect time!!!

Drive safely,

Corina

Ernie,

That is so wonderful! I really hope you can get out and about regularly now and enjoy life a LOT more. Being homebound and constantly having to worry about passing out or becoming ill in public is one of the toughest things about dysautonomia. I am glad you decided to invest in your chair...can't wait to hear about all your adventures!!

Woo hoo Ernie. You go girl. :D If we see you posting less on on the forum, we'll all know you're out burning rubber on the streets! :)

Live it up and enjoy the wild blue yonder!

Gena

Thanks everyone for being happy for me. I will surely post a little less on days where the temperature is nice!

Sophia: I have the reclining chair with the elevating feet. It can become completely horizontal. I have to travel by special bus because I don't have a van to fit it in. I can't bring it in the house yet because I don't have a ramp. I need to check with the government to see if they will help pay for the ramp. I heard that it is 5,000$. It takes a lot of space but the good thing is that is turns on itself and because I can lie down in it I can leave the house for a whole day. The batteries have an autonomy of 6-8 hours and I can plug it easily because the charger is permanently installed.

Ernie

Ernie - I am SO HAPPY for you!!! Its so nice to be able to have your freedom...you deserve it! ;)

Hurrah! Good for you, Ernie! I felt like I was right there with you too...good idea about the flag....maybe I should get one of them for my wheelchair? If I'm feeling pre menstrual, I could write rude messages on it for people, like "HEY! It's rude to stare!"

Seriously though, that's great news. Independence is great, isn't it! ;)

Guest Julia59

Great news Ernie!

How nice it will be to go places you haven't been to in such a long time.

I remember seeing you here when you came to see Dr. Grubb and you had passed out in the medical library at MCO---and they had to rush you to the ER.

I also remember you had to lay down most of the time when I came to visit with you and your friend.

Well now it will be nice for you to do the things you want and not worry about passing out.

Blessings to you Ernie............................ ;)

Julie :0)

;) Hi Ernie - I am so happy for you and glad that you are enjoying your new wheelchair and had a good day today and pleasant experiences on your first day out with it - you are a real inspiration to me. If I ever get up to Canada, I'll watch out for you cruising along the streets burning up rubber(only kidding :) ) Good luck! Beth

Ernie, that is so wonderful that you got your wheelchair!!!!!!!! I hope that it brings some comfort to your life and makes "living" alittle bt easier!

Congrats to you my dear!

next stop: flower shop, like corina, for some PINK flowers! :lol: he-he.

i'm a bit late chiming in here, ernie, but yeah!!!!! yeah for you!!!!! it's great to hear you so excited and 'up'...you deserve some joy these days...

what a fancy wheelchair...i did not realize it had all of those features. when you said you were getting one, i thought, hmmm...how will that help, as i know that unless i am reclining, i'm out of luck! but you CAN recline and lie horizontal with it! super cool!

enjoy your new zoomy chair...and definitely keep decorating it! :) keep us posted on your outings...and i hope that if we do see you here less, it is because you are busy zooming around and having new adventures! yeah!

how did you do after your trip? were you wiped? did the overstimulation kick in at all? just wondering?

okay, later alligator!

emily