How Low Can You Go?

Whilst in hospital I was 65/32 at my lowest for four days of low BP and no one batted an eyelid. The doctor on the neuro ward said later that they only get worried if it goes below 99 systolic and I told him how low mine went and I was giddy, barely able to stand let alone walk. He looked at my previous chart readings from when I was in obs and was shocked how low they had gone.

My lowest often happens in the late evening just sitting around, drinking plenty of fluid to try to keep it from sinking. 74/48 has been my lowest. Didn't feel very well, head all fuzzy, lightheaded. Happens rather frequently. Doctors say I should just go to sleep.

This is unrelated to dysautonomia but when I was pregnant with my daughter, I was having premature labor and in the hospital. They tried to give me a medication to decrease the contractions, but it's something that increases heart rate so if your heart rate reaches a certain level, they can't give you anymore medication. I can't remember exactly my HR, but I remember my BP being 70/35 and I asked the nurse "how low does it have to get before you die?" She didn't give me an answer.

Thanks for mentioning that, June. I sometimes can't get readings and I also error out the automated machines all the time. My current PT takes my pulse in between each major transition and she often can't feel my pulse going from laying to sitting and then again from sitting to standing. I get very thready. She panicked (silently but I could see it in her face while she felt around my wrist) the first time. I told her I get really thready and she might have to wait up to a minute to feel my pulse again. It's my bp going, going, oh, there it is again! Lol!

70/22 on my TTT.

The nurse was impressed. She literally said, "I don't know how you're still conscious."

Practice. LOL. She also said that most people were begging to be put down long before they got to that low a BP. The only reason that I wasn't was that I honestly forgot it was an option.

My hr dropped from 155 to 60 right around then too, so they ended the test. Thankfully.

It amazes me how my BP can be say, 104/57 when I am sitting down and my heart rate is 95 and then after standing for a while it can shoot up to 178/85 and my heart rate is 138. Very dramatic and certainly shows how these changes can effect the body.

Documented at 36/24 on a TTT at CC and didn't pass out. The cardio said it had to be machine error but the next day they did it again and I went to 42/26 without passing out. Her response was "You REALLY should be passing out with numbers like this!".

On my first TTT (locally) they lost my BP totally for quite awhile while I was still aware. I remember the nurse saying she "heard 1 beat at 30 but that was all and you couldn't possibly have still been alert that low." Apparently I could.

I've had orthostatic hypotension most of my life so maybe my body has just adjusted over the years? That's my POTS neuro's interpretation anyway.