First Day Of Lignocaine Infusions Tomorrow For Neuropathic Pain

TCP

I am about to start tomorrow three sessions of lignocaine infusions for neuropathic pain. I am a little apprehensive and I worry about the tachycardia, although I will be monitored throughout the session. This is being done as I am now at the maximum level with the Gabapentin and I cannot have morphine-one-related meds.

Fingers crossed. I will update although no benefit is usually felt after the first IV.

Thanks so much. All went well, a lovely team in the Pain Management unit. The dose is 4mls per kilo of your weight in saline solution.

Canula into back of hand. Heart and BP monitored throughout. I felt a little woozy, but not very sick. My speech was slightly slurred like I'd had a few strong drinks. It lasted about an hour and I had some food and a drink and a cab home.

I went to sleep for five hours after I got home and was a little bit achey, but I feel OK. Second session next week and one after that. Success rate is about 50-60% and if it works you have this done every three weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The day of the infusion as the day progressed I began to get a really bad headache and then sore muscles all over my body. Really sore like I'd overused them all along with 'flu. Anyway I had very uncomfortable sleep because of the pain. The pain lasted for three days and nights. I felt pretty grim. Then the sore muscles abated and it was followed by intense prickling all over. This lasted for two days intensely. Then I awoke and my thigh muscles were really sore mainly at the front. Unbelievable I could hardly walk and this lasted a couple of days. Needless to say, I cancelled the 2nd infusion as I was in too much pain. During all of this time I was treated to very severe night sweats leaving me drenched each night and morning.

It's now over a week and I can honestly say that having that infusion was not good for me. My whole body reacted badly to it. It does work for some people with pain, but wasn't for me.

Thanks everyone. I still feel pretty rough although it is settling down once more. Yes at least I tried it and it was a risk as I am so sensitive to drugs.

I'll stick with more natural approaches as it's gentler on the system!