Is Ketosis Safe For Us?

Anoj

Hi! It's been a long time since I've posted. My symptoms are doing ok for the most part, as long as I'm not overly active. Head dizziness and intolerance to medications are my biggest problems. I can't stand for a very long time, but I guess that is to be expected.

My question is about the Atkins or low-carb diet, or any variation. Since I've gotten sick back in 2010, I've gained 80 lbs. and finally am in a place where I can and want to do something about it. I started a low-carb diet about 3 week ago and am definitely in ketosis.

I'm having anxiety about this, though, because I've read controversial literature that says there can be negatives, such as organ damage and kidney stones. Right now I'm having a few side effects (a little nervous energy, and ... overgrowth of yeast, which I was very surprised about!) Apparently yeast feeds even more on ketones than it does sugar. I've also read that this diet can lower your blood pressure.

Since I'm sensitive to EVERYTHING, I figured I'd come here and see if anyone has had any experience with this type of diet.

Since late last year I've lost a total of 20 lbs. The first 10 I lost from upping my thyroid medicine, via my doctor. The second 10 has been from the low-carb diet. I've tried almost everything to lose this weight, and so far low-carb seems to be the only thing that's worked. My doc and I tried to raise the dose of my thyroid meds again, and I wasn't able to. Gave me extreme headache & dizziness, so I'm sticking to the dose I'm on, for now.

I'm hoping to hear some good things about this because I'd really like to stay on, but, of course, I value the opinions and experiences of others with POTS since we are so different from the general, healthy population. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

A couple of years ago I went low carb, and over the year lost about 45 lbs. I needed to lose it badly, and felt much better without having to "drag" that extra weight around, because I am so deconditioned, I just don't have the energy!

I did find, however, that I spent that whole time with way less energy. I have since added some carbs back in and I felt more energetic right away. I gained back about 5-7 lbs. and just yoyo back and forth.

It does really help in weight loss, though, to go low carb. When you think about it, I lost 45 lbs. only through diet, because I sure couldn't do any physical activity. It would have been amazing to see how much I could have lost and how fit I could've been if I could have exercised!

hey sue! long time no talk!

i guess i'm feeling a little bit "buzzy." it's really hard to explain. altho i'm not sure if it's not becs of readjusting to my thyroid meds. it is nice to finally have SOMETHING that is helping me lose weight. i'm alarmed at the yeast, not becs it's that big of a deal but becs i can really notice changes in my body, and that's kind of unsettling. i mean, if it's causing that, is it causing anything else bigger? maybe this is just anxiety talking.

from what i've read, the key is to drink lots of water. i'm not getting off of this diet quite yet, unless i hear something alarming.

at this point, i now have 60 to lose, which is a big deal, because the number 80 has stuck in my head for so long. i think i'll cry if i get back to my normal weight. the only reason i gained was becs of zoloft!

i should have known the minute i started questioning if it was OK that it wasn't for me. had to leave work last night. feeling fatigued, horrible brain fog, head feels heavy, major dizziness. called in sick today. ketosis is not for me. i just hope this gets better after a few days and that i'm not having a POTS "relapse."

I've just read The Wahls Protocol which someone on here recommended (thanks so much whoever it was, its a fabulous book). This describes a healing diet which involves ketosis, but she says it is a different type of ketosis as it is a high fat diet. I don't fully understand the difference. she gives a compelling argument for why this is helpful, and they are doing research on the diet with people with MS, and are seeing promising results. I would really love to try the diet ishe recommends, but my problem is the opposite of yours, I am losing weight, and don't need to. I've given up sugar, dairy, wheat and soy and am eating lots of vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds, plus fish and meat. I'm eating a huge amount, and juicing too, so am getting lots of nutrients in, but Im gradually losing weight. If my weight loss continues I'm going to have to change something but I have no idea what. The Wahls book gives a recipe for a high fat treat for if weight loss is a problem, which I am eating daily. Maybe I need to eat more of it.