New Patient Of Dr. Chelimsky ... Some Supplement Recommendations

Hey all! I've been on the forum awhile but only recently gotten into a dysautonomic doc (thanks for all the suggestions)!

I met w dr chelimsky on monday and was diagnosed with a mild form of POTS (full autonomic testing coming in june) and chronic vestibular migraine. I am 21 months off of benzos (yeah!) And currently taperinf effexor (since it started all this mess!!).

Dr. C recommended a few supplements and after searching the forum, I cant get a handle on two of them -- coq10 and creatine monohydrate. Anyone have any thoughts? I think he is using them to try and get my energy levels up and also reduce the migraines (he also asked me to start riboflavin and alpha limbic acid).

Thoughts or feedback??

CoQ 10 can be ordered through Puritian Pride Vitamins and the other might be found in a muscle building shake product. Might type that last ingredient in at a GNC website and see if it comes up in one of their shakes or as a supplement. GNC may also have the CoQ 10. I buy Tyler's through Puritian.

CQ10 or ubiquinol can be found in any health food store and even walgreens has a good brand, Doctors Best. Some studies have shown that up to 300 mg of CQ 10 has helped reduce migraines for some. Same with B2 which is riboflavin, at doses up to 400 mg per day. The thought is that they increase mitochondrial function. I think you might mean Alpha Lipoic Acid- once in a while I see that referenced for use in migraines.

If you just google all of those and migraine prevention, you will see the uses. All are easily found supplements. PM me if you want brands prices etc.

I am about to try B2 again...didn't give it a long trial before, as well as adding back Magnesium and another supplement as I am on day five of a migraine.

Thanks all! Yes, it is alpha lipoic acid (darn autocorrect!!). LOL. He recommended the four I listed (riboflavin, CoQ10, ALA and creatine monohydrate) and also, and the most important thing, to start getting deep restful sleep (which I don't). So for that he has me on melatonin and benadryl.

I am in the process of ELIMINATING meds, so I didn't like the idea of starting the melatonin and benadryl, but he seemed to think I would not break the migraine cycle without getting good sleep.

So far so good on the melatonin and benadryl. I seem to be having a reaction to the riboflavin (yellow diarreha) at 250 mg, but I am going to give it a few more days to be sure. If so, I'll probably cut it down to 100 mg.