To Feel Normal When Laying Down

andybonse

Hi,

When you guys are upright and feel terrible then lay down, do you feel better instantly?

Ill be sat up for a bit then get short of breath, feel weird and chest discomfort etc, then lay down and itl be a bit of relief but ill have to stay laid down a while until it all goes back to a big relief?

Also sometimes when im up standing and then sit down or lay down ill go dizzy for a few seconds?

Mine depends on the day and how bad my symptoms are. If I have a sudden acute attack of presyncope, then laying down usually helps within a few minutes. But on days when I have of gradual build up of feeling icky while upright, I also have a gradual feeling of getting better lying down. I usually have to sleep it off on these days too...just lying down doesn't do it...I have to sleep as well. Any sort of orthostatic change, up or down, can trigger dizziness for me.

I can pass out even when laying down, which has my doctors team puzzled. I literally think at the moment, my bp is okay, it's my hr that is trying to run the show, and when my body gets to the point it can't handle it, it makes me go out as a way to "reboot" itself. I stop breathing even, and about 30 seconds later, depending how how fast I was going prior to this, I start coming too, and I feel horrible. Takes a few hours to feel decent again, and I tend to try and get going again too soon, so I'm harder on my body by being an idiot.

Same with just changing positions (laying to sitting, etc). Gotta remind myself to take it slow, which is hard sometimes when you've drank so much, that the bathroom is the goal, lol. I spend a lot of time crawling because of this, so I'm close to the ground if I am going to go out, I lessen the chance of hurting myself.

I feel an instant relief when I lye down...like an elephant is getting off my chest. However this is quickly followed by different symptoms than standing...twitches, a buzzy feeling, and I get really cold. I've learnt that this is my body reacting to the excess noradrenaline that I no longer need now I'm lying down. Once all these symptoms stop I'm good to go again.

I also get dizzy when lying down at first for a few minutes if I am in a flare. It seems to be related to days when my pulse pressure is low say 90/75 standing. Flying also does this to me the night after. I suspect low blood volume.

It is my experience that although the illness is about difficulty remaining upright, I am not symptom free lying down, and sometimes the first few minutes changing position can be frightening, especially when lying down to go to sleep at night when I can be very dizzy at first. Anyone else have this?

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on how bad my symptoms are. Most of the time I feel at least a little better when lying down, usually I feel a lot better. When my symptoms are acting up the most, it takes a long time of lying down before I feel some improvement. Also, if yo uchange positions to fast - standing to sitting down, that can make symptoms worse.