Emg Test

srb

Hi everyone,

I know this test has popped up in past threads (I did a search), but I am just checking to see what the current collective wisdom of the forum thinks about the usefulness of this test for further info about either dysautonomia issues or EDS...

My primary ordered one for my left arm (tingling, etc.), but I am getting wary - and weary - of test after test that shows nothing. I will, of course, make my own decision about this, but wanted to hear any stories or thoughts forum members might have regarding what this might show.

I have tingling in several areas. While at the Mayo Clinic had an Emg done. It wasn't too bad compared to some other tests. Somewhat painful in areas that I have problems. It showed normal muscle function. I do have SFN and it does not test for that. Maybe for peace of mind? I do understand being tired of tests. I also wanted to comment that like you I constantly struggle to n maintain weight. I have eaten so much butter I thought my cholesterol numbers would be horrible but they are just fine.

I guess it depends on what they are trying to rule in or out. My neurosurgeon said he was glad no one put me through it (due to numbness in my arms when I sleep) because it wouldn't have given us any useful info, but that's because my problem is coming from structural deterioration in my neck. If the mri had been clean, then he said it would be a test he would order.

I have had 2 emgs on my arms in the last 3 or so years and they only showed mild carpal tunnel in both hands. I have numbness all the time in my left index and middle fingers and tingling in left hand when I lie down at night. I don't think it's carpal tunnel and I don't think it's dysautonomia related. I do have degenerative discs and stenosis in my neck. One neurologist thinks that is the cause. Another neuro says my neck looks normal for someone my age (49) and doesn't think it's the cause, but he did not offer any other suggestions.

The emg itself can be slightly painful--and expensive. Have you had an MRI of your neck? Also, I see in your sig line that you have Raynaud's. Can that cause tingling??

When I had my first emg, I was having terrible pain all down my left arm for about 3 months (following a flu shot-and pre-dysautonomia). The next day after the emg, my arm pain was 80% better. I don't know if something about the test zapped my nerves somewhat back to normal or what. I told the neuro and he said some people have told him that but he had no explanation for it. When I went for the second one, I was paranoid that it would make the pain come back (weird, I know) but luckily it did not!

So, I don't know if the test was helpful at all in my situation, except the first one helped with my pain.

Thanks to each of you who shared. I asked my primary for further clarification about why she would like me to do this and she stated that she wants to rule things out systematically. I believe it could be Raynaud's related, yes, or maybe some carpal tunnel/nerve entrapment type issue. I have never had an MRI. I have a curved spine.

angelloz - what test detects small neuropathy? Also thanks for your empathy about the weight issue. It is so frustrating trying to balance weight maintenance with the grazing style eating my other symptoms seem to require.