Steps

i'm afraid of heights, but i had to move to a house with just 2 steps to get in. the appartment we lived in had 6, from the handicap parking no less. you had to walk around to the front of the building to get in without steps.

i would rather suffer the ride in the elevator then do steps.

blackwolf

I have trouble with stairs too. I think it's a pretty common symptom for POTS patients. Walking is bad enough - stairs are like walking times ten! B)

I can do a few steps OK, but when I have to walk a couple of flights it's really hard. I always take the elevator too, so I am sure that makes me rusty. It's kind of strange - I always had trouble with stairs even pre-POTS. I used to work out a lot and was in good shape, yet I would always be lagging behind and out of breath on the stairs.

I have trouble with stairs too.? I think it's a pretty common symptom for POTS patients.? Walking is bad enough - stairs are like walking times ten!?  B)? 

I can do a few steps OK, but when I have to walk a couple of flights it's really hard.? I always take the elevator too, so I am sure that makes me rusty.? It's kind of strange - I always had trouble with stairs even pre-POTS.? I used to work out a lot and was in good shape, yet I would always be lagging behind and out of breath on the stairs.

The worst is when you can see through the steps, like metal ones! I am not scared of height either, but I can hardly tell where my feet are if I get too high up on something.

Stairs are the worse!! I have Vertigo on top of POTS and my god....I won't even go near them anymore. I just recently moved from a 2 story to a flat for just this reason. I had already fell multiple times and the last time, I broke my shoulder blade, and that was it for me. I was out of there! lol

If you are having issues, tell your Doctor and stay away from stairs.

Take Care,

Susan

Merrill

I've worked my way up to that very slowly over a period of over a year!

I remember telling my electrophysiologist how awful climbing stairs felt and he said, just keep doing it, and it will get better--it's good conditioning for you. SO, I kept at it. I work at the top of six flights of stairs. Now I go up and down them several times at day (the days I am at work). Some days are a lot harder than others, but, overall, I am no more winded than most people.

Katherine

i have one flight of steps to go upstairs when i have to go up i crawl and i slide down on my butt that alone wears me out my perants moved my bedroom downstairs for now but are looking forward to moving it back upstairs i dont know :D anyway other then that uneven ground gets me but i dont like little spaces so i didnt like elevators pre POTS but now they are worse

Whitewolf

• 2 weeks later...

I still have a difficult time with steps. I just take them slowly, and try to avoid them if at all possible. :unsure:

Inclines are difficult, too--probably more difficult than steps.

~Kristin

Stairs are difficult for me too. Unfortunately I was not smart enough to buy a ranch house again. I was under the delusion that maybe I could handle a two story house like I had always dreamed of owning. Carrying anything more than a few pounds makes the stairs intolerable. My 3 year old son has the terrible 2's, and I have made the mistake of carrying him up the stairs for bedtime. I really cannot and should not do it. I have had to be crafty to discipline him without physically destroying myself.

Karyn

I noticed that I started having a stair and ladder phobia about a half a year into my NCS. I am not sure if it was because I was passing out or what. I am not too afraid of heights. I am not sure why it happened. When it hit I was getting something at work and went up the ladder, that was not a problem, it was coming down. I freaked out and had to have someone waiting at the bottom of the ladder and it took me almost 5 min to get down. I have had a problem ever since.

Shelby

Stairs were my first inkling of having POTS- in my final term at St Andrews I stayed with some really nice people who had a 3 storey town house, and they let me have the attic room- I always wanted an attic room and found it really cool in the beginning!! but once I got a virus, I just couldn't do the stairs- I used to faint and convulse ON THE STAIRS! It was terrifying! My landlady used to have to follow me up the stairs to bed in case I fell back- and there were occasions when I did. :)

Luckily I never sustained any real injury from stairs. The one time I broke my foot was standing up to get out of bed one morning- how ironic! :unsure:

But yes, you are DEFINITELY not alone!

When I encountered one cardio before Xmas who didn't know about POTS, he said to my parents "Isn't it strange how this always happens to your daughter up the stairs, away from you?"- as if to say could she be nuts/ doing it to herself! But of course, now we know tha tPOTS people just can't do stairs at all! :) I still get really annoyed when I think of it though. ;) People implying that--how dare they! Honestly, some of these Doctors made me so angry I thought I'd change my name to Vesuvius after the number of massive eruptions they caused! :D