New Symptom. Myoclonus/leg Jerking. Hint To Primary Condition?

I also don't have anxiety so something else must be causing my jerks and twitches. I read a great book recently: Mind over medicine. The doctors haven't helped me, this book has helped me to consider that the doctor's may not help me, but I can help myself.

I didn't think mine were anxiety-related at the time but after speaking to an expert in sleep disorders and 5 neurologists, I realised that they could well be. Your mind is a huge thing and is part of our body. Having studied for a degree in psychology, I realise what the mind can do to the body and vice versa. We all have anxiety and stress in different levels.

Don't forget, anyone with POTS/autonomic dysfunction has nerve damage and that means our responses to internal and external forces, too will be heightened. What would be normal everyday bodily reactions to a healthy person will be heavily exaggerated in someone with nerve damage and inflammation. We are more jumpy and our bodies react strongly to events in our lives, such as what we do, think and what happens to us. We also emotionally maybe have changed as our bodies have changed and we get frustrated, upset and angry and this will impact on our nervous systems. I know my health improves when I am calmer through self-hypnosis or meditation and if I am going through a bad patch my sleep gets worse as do the jerks. At the time mine kicked off I was having a a really tough time and I knew my mind was having a huge role in the problem. The calmer I got the more they abated.

I should also add that many people with ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia gets these jerks. As long as epilepsy and other conditions are ruled out I wouldn't worry too much. I had mine very bad for two years 2007-9 and now rarely get them.

@Alison is it a good book? what does it talk about? None of the doctors are helping me either and idk what to do right now.

@TCP i'm kinda disappointed how common it is among this community now. I kinda thought maybe this was a hint towards my primary condition but it looks like even though it's not written down as a symptom a lot of people here have it. I guess what your saying makes sense. I can always try something like that as I should be doing something to calm my mind and keep stress away anyways.

I tend to think that this condition causes a heightened sense of anxiety on it's own. Then the symptoms can be enough to make the most sane person anxious. It can be a snowball effect.

I can speak for myself saying that some of my symptoms are troubling. I am already in overdrive. I tend to get caught up in a cycle that feeds on itself. I am at my best when I and my system is calmed down. That very well could be a first step in seeing some improvement.

I cannot say that this is the same for anyone else, but I have attributed my leg jerks etc. to this. I may be wrong of course, but nothing else has been revealing.

I've just read about a lady on Facebook who has all of the issues we have and she mentions 'I had Myoclonus since June 2007 made worse by fatigue & stress', it seems that it's all relative. That's when mine started, too. I'm not surprised in a way as many people with conditions related to the nervous system have either tremors or jerking.

The doctor who advises me with the neuropathy says being calm is so beneficial as all symptoms worsen when we get stressed, tired and anxious. It's like an overload to our bodies and the nerves become agitated and we may experience more damage to them.

Meditation is so good and if you can do it for 20 minutes to an hour a day it does help. People think your mind goes blank when you do it and that's far from true; the trick is to let thoughts enter the head but not concentrate on then let them drift in and out like clouds. Stay in the moment and concentrate on your breathing and that focuses the mind. I feel very chilled and relaxed when I've done even ten minutes.

The book Mind Over Medicine talks about how much the mind impacts our health, the author has researched patients who get better from all kinds of illnesses without medical treatment, and things like the placebo effect. Also the impact of positive beliefs about your health and the impact of doctors saying positive things to the patient.

Wow, maybe I should try something like that. Normally when someone suggests stress or anxiety I'm ready to rip their heads off but even if I don't feel anxious it doesn't mean my body might not be stressed from being so sick all of the time. Stress and anxiety does feel relative to the "nervous system." Lol it seemed punny when I said it in my head but when I wrote it down it felt lame lol. I think I might try to relax more. It can't really harm me.

I'm not even sure what they are anymore. I don't think it's myoclonus anymore. They kind of remind of my husband of tics because sometimes when they happen it makes me shout out or my voice suddenly becomes a lot louder and stuff like that (like with tics) but at the same time sometimes they remind my husband of the seizures because my body will convulse and my hands clench up into fists like when I have the seizures only I'm not actually having a seizure and I'm aware the whole time. I have no idea what this even is. I'm wondering if they aren't two seperate things. It kept me up ALL last night and I was crying terribly. I was so uncomfortable I was actually repeating that I wish I wasn't alive anymore so I didn't have to deal with all of this and I was crying and begging my husband to somehow make it all go away. It was pitiful. Last night was really bad. It was worse than it had ever been. I kept convulsing for hours without my control and my body felt so uncomfortable and I couldn't make it go away. My husband gave me a valium and I fell asleep but apparently I was still convulsing and twitching in my sleep because he woke me up an hour later because I was keeping him up. I don't even have any idea what this is anymore and my neurologist can't move me up so I have to wait until May 2nd and I feel like I'm going to absolutely insane. I can't deal with this anymore. I get some lighter versions sometimes during the day but nighttime is **** and I now dread it and I need something to make it stop because all I do is cry all night and wish I wasn't me anymore now.