Heart Hurts When I Talk

gjensen

I read with my sons in the evenings. For some time now, when I am reading to them, my heart hurts. It is not the talking, it is the lengths of time between breaths. Does anyone else experience anything like it?

Any number of breathing variations makes it hurt more than it already does. I am seeing a cardiologist, and he has no answer for me yet.

Hi Gjensen,

I wish I knew what to make of this, but this is strange symptom. Could you have a virus that's causing the problem? I hope your doctor figures this out soon.

I get this and I also feel like I suddenly run out of air to keep talking and have to take a breath in the middle of even a short sentence. It usually happens when I've been having a prolonged, constant conversation. Besides feeling like I run out of air too early and without warning, it kind of feels like it pulls on my heart. Like when you stretch a muscle and go just past the point where you should stop. I don't know if I'm making sense tonight...I'm brain foggy so my communication is questionable.

I don't have the chest/heart pain but often find myself out of breath when on the phone, especially (for whatever reason) when leaving a voicemail message. It's as if I don't breathe right or enough between sentences? Not sure why or how to stop it from happening!

Rachel, it is a strange symptom. LOL. I felt silly writing the title.

Katy, I am short of breath with this to. I am having one of my morning spells, and not thinking clearly, but a pulmonary test and the vagal test did the same thing. It hurt a lot then.

CMReber, it is connected to the shortness of breath. It is as if I do not breathe as I should. I am not saying that I do not, but it feels that way.

I bring it up because it is getting worse. It has been going on for 6 months?, but it is all of the time now and much more uncomfortable. I do not think I would even try blowing up a balloon now. I know it would be very painful.

I do not have any answers yet. I want an answer on this one, because I think it would help me understand some of what is going on.

Have you been seen by a pulmonologist? Maybe this has something to do with your lungs instead of the heart. Tyler has these spells when he looks like he is having shortness of breath. When I see it happen it scares me but it's happens in a flash moment and it's gone. I'm sure this is related to his condition but I don't have an answer. It never happens when we are at the cardiologist office.

Its due to valsalva reflex, when you talk the pressure in your chest increases so the heart will slow down and make you feel rubbish as your bp drops when you release that pressure and the heart speeds up again, I get it, its horrible, its worse when upright of course, its actually a healthy sign your ans is working as silly as that sounds lol.

Obviously get checked out by a doctor.

I think that it is MVP. I am thinking that is why I cannot lay on my side, and I wake up gasping for air. I also think this is why my heart hurts when I am up or exert any real effort. All of these sensations are the same but vary in intensity. My only concern would be it's progression. It is much worse than it used to be. I could be full of it and it would not have been the first time, but I have a pretty good track record going. LOL. I wonder if I could convince my cardiologist to fully investigate it. Even if it amounted to nothing, I would have this symptom behind me and explained. I can hear the characteristic whooshing sound with a stethoscope, but only in and after certain situations. Has anyone else had this investigated?

Yes...now that you mention it, my pulmonary testing and valsalva testing made me experience the same sensation.

I asked the doctors why I felt that pain, and they looked at me like I was crazy.

I've had an echo each year for the past 3 years. First year was when we were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Subsequent years have been because of my EDS diagnosis. I do have mild MVP as well as some prolapse in my tricuspid valve. But these have not progressed and are very mild according to my cardio. Your situation is a bit different though. I don't have any issues sleeping on my side. MVP is easy enough to identify with an echocardiogram.

Certainly do ask your cardiologist, but normally if your chest hurts when you breathe it isn't your heart (that's actually a question they ask in hospital to establish whether a pain is cardiac or not). The exception to this, iirc, is the pericardium. But over your heart is a common (and worrying) place to get chest wall pain when you breathe. I have this constantly cos I'm always short of breath/hyperventilating with my POTS. Unless you mean the actual beats hurt? That can happen with vasovagal stuff (does to me at least).

It is not general chest pain that I speak of here. I get a variety of chest pains like most of us. The specific pain that I speak of here is positively specific to the heart, and a reliable set of triggers. Unfortunately it hurts most of the time, but grows more intense under certain stressors.

I have some other ones, some that I believe that I understand and some that I do not. I get one in spells that can be very difficult to tolerate that I do not understand. I suspect that some of them is vascular.

There is so many different chest type discomfort that I get, it is hard fro me to communicate them clearly. Especially that I am not a good communicator.

Regardless, I will get this specific one investigated.