Chest Pressure And Discomfort?

xRobin

I am newly diagnosed, and this started in late November. I caught a chest cold and my asthma flared up, and my chest felt horrible and tight. And, during that time I got POTS, somehow. Now the cold/asthma is long gone but I still get pressure in my chest. I've been to my primary care three times, had a normal EKG, and he is unconcerned but I think I need a more thorough work up just in case. I just made an appointment to talk to him about a cardiology referral.

I don't see many people talking about this, but, it seems to be mentioned a lot in the literature and for me it is my scariest symptom. My chest tightens and I feel pressure when I stand up, when I lie down for a little bit (then it gets better), on exertion, and sometimes after meals. It's diffuse, and hurts more when I breathe in. Sometimes it almost feels respiratory though I never get winded. Sometimes it shoots up to my shoulders and down my arms, and sometimes my back hurts too. It's improved a bit since I've been put on a beta blocker and florinef.

I was just wondering if other people experience this, what type of work ups you've had and how you cope?

You are not alone. That was actually my first symptom that I noticed....the elephant that would sit on my chest everyday. It got worse for a while with the pains down my arms and I would also feel like to veins in my neck would become very restricted. It was scary but I had a pretty thorough workup and nothing is obviously wrong other than pots. I had ekg, echo, stress test and it didn't show anything. We have had quite a few conversations on this forum about it but it comes up maybe every 3 months or so when we have some newer members join. You might find some of the old threads if you do a search on here. I would have it checked out thoroughly because there are other differential diagnoses for these symptoms. However, you may find that it is another one of the mysteries of pots.

I have this as well --it's very disconcerting. EKG and echo came back okay (other than neurocardiogenic syncope).

Definitely one of my more bothersome symptoms related to dysautonomia other than the temp regulation issues and dizziness. The elephant sitting on my chest is a very good descriptor of what it feels like.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this as well.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm glad it's not just me and that POTS can cause these symptoms. I am definitely seeking a work up, though, just in case.

Katie, I did a search but I must not have gone back far enough! Most of what I saw was chest pain in conjunction with actue events.

Andy, that's an interesting theory. I know that I am stiff and sore all over when I've been standing or sitting for a while, maybe there is a lack of circulation?

I have this all the time I had a check up with my gi doctor yesterday tell him,all the symptoms which seem to be getting worse and he brings me himself down to the er and gets some blood work done an ekg all come back fine puts me on propranolol low dose will pick that up tomorrow.

I think its al, about the blood flow with the dysaustonmia.

I am having some sort of crazy problem with copy/paste. If you search under "shortness of breathe" , you will find many threads with people mentioning their chest pain and compression. Sorry, I would pull some for you but my computer is acting like IT has brain fog tonight.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I don't really get short of breath much so I didn't use that search term. Looks like I missed stuff.

I often feel a tightness in my chest, from the bottom of my sternum up to my throat, and I have to breathe through my mouth to get more air.

I don't describe it as an elephant, but more like a 20 lb cat sitting on my chest -lol :)

(I've had pulmonary tests and supposedly they were normal. The first one said air trapping and possible neuromuscular disease, the second one was normal, so the doc went with normal).