Can Anyone Explain Autonomic Testing, Particularly The Blood Test

Alison

I had autonomic testing this week. I've never fainted before, but after being upright for so long I started to pass out. They took blood straight after. I think I read that this blood test is to look at your epinephrine and norepinephrine. Just before I started to faint I could feel that my body had mobilised a huge amount of adrenaline. My question is - does this happen to everyone just before they faint - if so what is the point in doing the blood test - what is it really showing?

I'm trying to get an understanding of it so I know what to ask the doctor when I go for my follow up. Thanks.

Usually if they are testing your catecholamines (epinephrine/norepinephrine/dopamine), they will do a blood test while you're lying down (after you've been in a quiet, dark room for 30 minutes) and then do another blood draw after you've stood up for 10 minutes. They usually compare the two numbers to determine if a person has hyperPOTS etc.

If they took blood after you were on a TTT and fainted, I'm not sure what they were looking for at that point. Hopefully someone else will chime in who had a similar experience.