Possible stroke...

SusieQ

Morning everyone...

I was in the hospital most of last week b/c they think i may have suffered a mild stroke. Have any of you ever had a stroke or stroke like symptoms?

I was simply playing with my kids one night and the whole left side of my body went numb. I was without feeling for a couple days- my arm has recovered but i am still struggling with my leg. We have been in contact with my dr.'s at NIH and they don't know of any correlation between POTS and stroke.

Just thought I'd check with all of you to see.

Thanks alot!!

Susie

Both very low and very high blood pressure are associated with stroke risk. I had an article a few years back, but can't find it now...

Any way, I hope you're doing okay. Nina

Susie--Hope you get an explanation for what happened. It sounds like you didn't get a definitive answer as to whether what happened was actually a stroke or not? I think many of us have had stroke-like symptoms. I truly believed I had had a stroke in the days after childbirth. My bp was very high at times and I had trouble getting words out and with motor coordination. I would also have episodes of numbness in my limbs. I saw a neurologist who determined definitely that I did not have a stroke. In the end it was all chalked up to POTS (once I got that diagnosis).

I have never heard of an increased risk of stroke for POTS patients. But like Nina said, having very high blood pressure can put you at risk for cardiovascular problems. I didn't know this was also the case for very low bp. Unfortunately, I think so little is still understood about POTS that risk factors may not yet be understood.

Take care and let us know how you are.

Katherine

Susie

hope you're feeling better. I've had episodes that the doctors thought were ministokes, but were not validated by the eeg. It turned out to be severe attacks of hypoglycemia, common with pots. I have that under control now with diet.

You must be pretty scared. I hope all turns out to be easy news.

Ariella

Hi Susie,

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I can't imagine how scared you must be not knowing and in addition, you have children to worry about. I am currently suffering from numbness on my right side. My Doctor has recommended that I have a "Nerve Conduction Test" which is being performed Wed.. Did they do this test?

Usually what happens for me is that I will start to go numb in my right foot. Then it gradually moves up and into my upper limbs (this in when I start to really notice it). Then finally, the right side of my face will go completely numb to the point where I can not smile or talk correctly. I have not had an EEG for quite some time so I am sure that will be the next test.

At this point, I will simply assume the test will be negative since they all are. Then my Dr. will simply say..."well I guess it's just part of POTS". If you happen to find anything out, please let us all know.

In the meantime, please take care and be extra careful, I have fallen' down more then once due to this.

Kind Regards,

Susan

Susie,

So sorry you're going through this. As other posts indicated it might not be a stroke at all, but you should get all the tests done to find out.

Just FYI - I've read in several articles before that people with very low BP as well as high BP are more susceptible to strokes. I've also read that people with very low cholesterol are more prone to have a bleeding stroke, whereas people with high cholesterol are more likely to have a clottiing type of stroke.

Anyway, I hope it's not a stroke at all and just some weird POTs thing that will go away soon! B)

Hugs,

Gena

Susie, you should have all the tests to determine if you had a stroke or not. I also had stroke-like symptoms and multiple diagnostic tests (hospitalized for one week), and like Katherine, it wasn't until I was diagnosed later with POTS that any of the symptoms made sense. I saw numerous neurologists who insisted I didn't have a stroke. At times I still have trouble forming the words with my mouth and sometimes I say the wrong word and I have weakness on my left side that is very slowly improving. I have a slight left facial droop as well. The numbness I had on the left side is also improving over the last 3 years. Hope you're feeling a little better. Take care, Martha

Hi guys-

Thank you all for your responses.

Its all been very confusing- the neurologist I saw in the hospital was less than helpful and didn't want to hear anything about the POTS. It was as if that would add more to the situation than he wanted to deal with. We are seeing my GP tomorrow so he can refer me for a second opinion. Whether its related to the POTS or a ministroke, whatever it is ... we just want to know so we know how to proceed. POTS can certainly make life very complicated! I will say that since I have been getting so much rest and haven't been on the go like I normally am, I haven't had those bad feeling POTS days which has been a very good thing. It has made me realize how hard I am on my body with my normal day to day lifestyle and that I definitely am not getting enough rest. Something I will definitely work on from now on.

Anyway, thank you all for your thoughts and concerns. Your advice has given me alot to think about and ask the doctors about.

I will keep you all posted!

Hugs to all...

Susie :huh:

Susie,

Did you have an MRI yet? That should help to determine if you had a stroke, and to what extent there was damage.

Strange things can happen to the body. You can have stroke-like episodes that aren't strokes, and strokes that don't cause any symptoms. Try to relax as much as possible. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

Amy

Guest Mary from OH

Susie,

I'm glad you're feeling better now. What tests did they do while you were in the hospital?

Also, do you by chance, also have migraines? I do, and have had episodes like you described. They thought I was having a stroke earlier this year which is common with migraines that have occured longer than 72 hrs. Mine had been going on for over 1 week. It turned out all my symptoms were neurological in nature and due to the severity of the migraine and the loss of O2 to my brain. No permanent damage was done as in a stroke or TIA (mini-stroke). An EEG would show if you had a stroke if you had one done now.

Hope you stay well. Good luck!!

:huh: