Bp 178/117 Heart Rate 110 Standing Should I Worry

Yes, I would worry. Those readings are close to hypertensive crisis levels. Please see a doctor about this soon. If your levels stay that high and don't come down or go higher it could be an emergency that requires treatment right away.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/hypertensive-crisis/faq-20058491

I've had higher numbers for 15 years and have not stroked yet. If this is new for you you should at least call your doctor.

You should get it checked out but those numbers are not foreign to me. If you do have hyper pots a beta blocker can be really helpful. It also may be helpful to get a 24hour blood pressure cuff. It was good to kow that my BP drops when I'm sleeping. It's not the same as having primary hypertension.

Two other thoughts- my BP has been the highest when my salt was too low. Once my potassium got high - decreasing my sodium. That was really horrible. It's pretty easy to get a check on your soduim/potassium.

Also as mentioned on another thread you might want to consider seeing an endocronogist to rule out adrenal tumors that cause blood pressure spikes.

Hope you are feeling better soon. It's miserable and scary.

Forgot to mention- if your blood pressures are lower when resting- that's a good sign. If these numbers are sustained when sitting or resting you should consider it an emergency.

Also now I'm being a total nag- but if you are up for it please check in to let us know you are ok.

Thankyou for the support. I went to my local UK based Health/drop in centre and they took my blood pressure straight away, it read 169/100 and they said it was very high and they thought i should go to hospital. I explained about my possible POTS and asked them to record my heart rate they did and it was 80 sat down and 150 stood up. The nurse said that the 150 hr was not uncommon and explained that his heart rate at rest was always 120........ this kind of made me a little uneasy because he obviously didn't know what POTS was.

Anyway whilst he was explaining about the BP readings i was seated and it took around twenty minns for him to stop rambling he then decided to take another BP test which showed that my Blood pressure had come down to 147/90 which he was pleased about.

He then said he thought i should record my BP in the mornings and the evenings and if i get the horrible dizzy sensations and headaches to see what they were then and to consult my doctor as something was not right.

I don't know whether to wait to see my POTS cardiologist now in 4 weeks or to see my GP ASAP, either way i am going to ask about the possibility of adrenal tumour thanks again everyone.

Depending on what works in terms of meds, you might want to consider using lying down for a certain amount of time/number of hours at least as one method to get the reading down on a regular basis. It's not a great method for getting things done in life but in the absence of a med that doesn't give you awful side effects and which you can take all the time, it's worth considering.

It's a little scary using salt to lower it but I think I've had that happen to me too. That high, I probably would wait for it to get lower first but later somehow carefully check for a pattern if it you can keep it from getting that high on some salt.

It would be helpful if some med worked on your pulse though...

120 is too high -- can't imagine he feels very good, I'd have asked.

honestly any of those b/p numbers are very concerning and warrant a trip to the ER, IMO. At least a call to your personal GP immediately and telling the office how high it is so they will put you right through. I already said this yesterday but the computer ate my post. I just want to say that waiting on this is not sound advice, IMO. Certain ppl may have a sustained high b/p and maybe their dr said it's ok (although I question that), but you have not been thoroughly evaluated yet so… Anyway good luck

June

Thank you June, I have made an appointment at my Gp for fitst thing Monday and I will record the BP readings throughout the weekend. It does seem to have come down a bit today bit I still don't feel great if I'm honest so I'm going to take it easy this weekend with lots of rest and lying down. If it does go back up to anywhere near them really high readings though I will go straight to ER.

Thank you for taking the time and care to reply:)

My b/p sitting for the last 20 yrs can run as high as 220/115 but fairly common to run 175/100 but upon standing can drop 100 points but usually drops about 50 to 75 points. I just was RX a medicine with a half life of only 3 hrs. to lower pressure, I have had it now about 2 wks but afraid to take it, thinking my pressure may go too low. Heart rate is usually 66 to 69 regardless of pressure. Quite frankly I do not know what to do, since I have had it for over 20 yrs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having surges like this for a few years now; I have no good answers about what to do. If I didn't have allergic and asthma type issues suggestive of hyperactive mast cells, I'd be experimenting with beta blockers. In case it helps anyone, Vanderbilt gave me a differential diagnosis list that includes MCAS, baroreflex dysfunction, and carotid body dysfunction, and recommended clonidine. I'm in the process of trying to find someone I trust to oversee it, and to provide the 24 hour BP monitoring I'd need to judge its effectiveness.

After having my daughter when i first developed pots my bp went up to 181/132 not sure how I did not stroke out or have a seizure. For a good 2 months after my bp would go anywhere from 160/110 to 90/50 it was so scary my bp was ALWAYS 115/75 or 120/80 before this

I'm glad you got checked out. Have you started any new meds or anything lately that could trigger bad bp fluctuations?