Talking On Phone

gertie

Does talking on the phone for any length of time make you nervous? I have some people that call & will talk for an hour or longer and me saying occ "I've got to go" for some reason or other. They just keep talking. Finally I thank them for calling but say I've must go & take care of something. By that time I'm shaking all over, have headache & ready to scream. Maybe I need socializing. I do prefer being by myself because of allergies & sensitivities etc. I feel better when things are calm & quiet. Does anyone experience this or is it just me? thanks.

Hmm...when I get really upset or nervous I get this! Maybe that is what your experiencing; I also have a lot of anxiety around other people and like to be alone best.. Kinda off topic, but I also get really dizzy and shaky if I use the computer too long...we just have very weird bodies!

Yes I have major problems on the phone, but for me I don't think it's social anxiety because I've always been a very outgoing person. In fact before I got really sick I worked for a cell phone company and was on the phone all the time and was in competitive sales with a quota. Nowadays I get the shakes, headache and feel awful too. I will be keyed up for a while and then eventually I will crash very hard.

Some days I'm okay talking, other days I can't seem to get enough air, so I'm passing out easier. Normally if I'm on the phone when this happens, I try to motion to one of my housemates and hand the phone off so they can explain I'm out or whatever to the other side. Some people are cool and will listen to me when I say "give me a minute, I'm feeling off," but people like my father, just keep going and don't realize I'm not there anymore until Dave or Lori tell him, which then he freaks out.

I have a hard time talking on the phone but it's more related to being short of breath and the energy it demands, not due to feeling nervous. I wonder if your symptoms might be from getting so exhausted by the phone call your body is kicking in extra adrenaline which is making you agitated along with the other symptoms it causes?

In my pre-illness life, I always paced the floor while talking on the phone. Now if I have to talk on the phone for more than 30 seconds, I immediately lie down on my bed. That helps me think better as well as conserving some of my energy.

I also use my caller ID and screen calls. After being ill for several years I've gotten to the point of being able to not answer my phone if I don't feel up to talking at the time. I let it go to voicemail and then check that to make sure it's nothing urgent. Then I'll send them a text response in a couple hours when they are less likely to be free to call back.

I use texting and email a lot as that is easier for me than talking.

It's taken time but I'm learning that I really have to control the drains on my limited energy supply. Talking on the phone seems so simple but it's exhausting now for me so I guard that access very carefully. It feels antisocial but it's better than being miserable, I've learned. This way I also have energy left for the things and people I really want it for. :)